A Walk Through Dyke Marsh

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Just downstream from the city of Alexandria VA, a causeway and boardwalk link the Potomac shore to some former islands in the river, passing through a marsh. Yesterday I walked out to the end of the boardwalk with my dog and my Z6 with my new Z 40/2 attached. Fall colors were beginning to show, and the light was good. There's not a lot of variety here, but I thought I'd post some images anyway.

I.
_WJW3447.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

II.
_WJW3451.jpg

III.
_WJW3464-3.jpg

IV.
_WJW3457.jpg

V. Woodrow Wilson Bridge in the background.
_WJW3458.jpg

VI. The end of the boardwalk.
_WJW3459-2.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
Very nice! That's one place I've never been in all the years I've lived in this area! Huntley Meadows, yes, but not Dyke Marsh. We are so fortunate to have such variety in our surroundings in the DC area!
Thanks, Connie! I go to Dyke Marsh frequently, though I avoid it in the months when mosquitoes are abundant, and I urge everyone else to do the same. I've never been to Huntley Meadows, because dogs are not allowed, at least in some parts.

Huntley Meadows is interesting, too, but it's been a few years since I've been there. A couple of years we didn't have much rain and the wetlands were less wet than usual..... I hadn't realized that they don't permit dogs there at Huntley Meadows, but that makes sense since there is a lot of wildlife -- frogs, birds, fish, insects, etc.

Last edited:
#2 is my favorite. I like the way the water is framed by the foreground and the background. #5 is a close second. My eye is drawn to the land mass in the background but then is pulled away by the bridge.

Latest threads

Top Bottom