1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Walk Thru My New Hometown

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by NewBert, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Some of you may have noticed that my profile has changed to indicate that I've moved to Glens Falls (in upstate NY), to live in retirement. While still unpacking and getting organized, I finally took the time to capture a few images of my new hometown, while taking my morning stroll. All were just minimally PP'ed in NX2....

Glens Falls has a bike path running through it which extends up to Lake George Village - about 8 miles to the north.

original.

Along its route, it passes some interesting homes and structures...

View attachment 218500

There are plenty of well-kept old homes.

View attachment 218501

...Some of which are currently on the market.

View attachment 218502

There are lots of quiet, tree-lined streets

View attachment 218503

....along with a developing downtown.

View attachment 218504

[​IMG]

View attachment 218505

View attachment 218507

View attachment 218508

There's even a "skyscraper" :smile: -- (The only one in town is in the background...)

View attachment 218509

Saturday mornings there's a farmers market downtown...

View attachment 218510

Unfortunately, I found a number of delicious-looking baked goods at the farmer's market, so my image-capturing was over for the day. I had my hands full carrying my goodies home! :biggrin: YUM!

I hope that you liked the tour. I'm sure that I'll enjoy living here. With the Adirondack Mountains, Lake George, Saratoga Springs, and Central Vermont all within a reasonably short drive, I plan on keeping busy capturing the beauty of the area, along with bike-riding, skiing, etc.

If anyone has specific suggestions for me about where to shoot, I'd be interested.

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Looks like a nice little town.

3. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    You bring out the best of Glens Falls. Thanks for sharing.

4. Bert
    love this series
    upstate, ny is so beautiful
    a lot of folks don't know that

spent a great deal of time in Kauneonga Lake and the surrounding areas a year ago
    just beautiful

thanks for sharing these with us

5. Seems like quite the nice town. And it seems you will be very busy with shooting living so centrally to very scenic areas of NY State. Looking forward to see your shots from your area trips. I envy your life! :) 

6. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Bert; just got back from Lake George last week. I was thinking of heading over to Saratoga as well as Glenn Falls........never made it. So much to see and do, I just ran out of time. I will definitely be heading back as soon as I get an opening. Must look spectacular in the fall. Good luck in your new home, from what I saw you will be one busy individual with your gear.

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice work, I hope the move is working out well for you

8. JeffM

JeffM

Feb 25, 2008
    Chicago IL USA
    Glenns Falls Appliances

Hey is the big appliance store still run by the Corlew family?
    I was friends with one of the sons who had stayed in San Diego after his Navy years and had the opportunity to meet the clan at a family picnic when I did a Sierra Club outing in the Adirondack Forest.
    I believe you'll find the area just as inviting as their bakeries...

9. Oh its gorgeous up there, you'll love it!!! My good friend's family owns a marina there (the Fitzgeralds), and my SIL used to live over in Proctor, VT (where the marble quarry is).

10. Yup! I'm a lucky guy!

11. I have no idea which appliance store your referring to.... Was it Rex? (That's the only one I know of. I'm still getting to know the area.)

12. Although I'm enjoying the summer, I'm also looking forward to fall's colors up here. I love landscape photography and, as far as I'm concerned, that is prime season! :smile:

Thanks to all for the kind words.

13. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Bert,
    Rent a boat and hit Lake George. Go to the East side of the lake and admire the views of the cliffs overlooking the lake as well as the islands. The water there is so clean and clear.

14. I am sorry you had to move away but looks like you choose agreat place

15. Hi Dave,

Well, the move was something I had been planning for a long time. So far (two weeks) it's worked out well.

It was a pleasure meeting up with you in Richmond a few months back, and I appreciate the instruction that you provided me. (.....And I still think longingly of that MAC display of yours. Is it compatible with a PC?)

I hope that your new non-photography endeavors are working out well for you!

Take care.

Bert

16. weinlamm

weinlamm

Jul 7, 2008
    Germany

Some nice pictures. But I think you have to do something with the cables...

17. Hi Burt! I guess we're practically neighbors. I just moved to Saratoga 3 weeks ago from Duthcess County. So far, I'm lovin it up here! Must've looked at 100 house since last winter, some of them in Glens Falls. Nice up there too, but my wife wanted this house, so here I am. Maybe we'll run into each other one of these days, shooting in the Adirondacks. Take care and good luck in the new place, Bob

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.