A wander through the South Island of New Zealand.

Real Name
Philip Armitage
And here we are stuck on the North island :) We have our house for sale, when it sells we will most likely be moving to Ashburton on the South Island.

Ashburton - know it well. My Nana used to live there so once a month the whole family would take the trek down from Christchurch to Ashburton - this was back in the 50's mind so I was pretty young. imo somewhere like Timaru or Geraldine would be my preference to live

Ashburton - know it well. My Nana used to live there so once a month the whole family would take the trek down from Christchurch to Ashburton - this was back in the 50's mind so I was pretty young. imo somewhere like Timaru or Geraldine would be my preference to live
I have a pretty good job offer in Ashburton :)

Real Name
Philip Armitage
I have a pretty good job offer in Ashburton :)
nice, actually some nice features. Close to Mt Hutt for skiiing in winter, close to chch for shopping trips, if you are into fishing, a good salmon run in the river every year. House prices should be more reasonable than up north. a fairly impressive public art gallery and folks probably more friendly than up north. Not sure how they will take your explosive tendencies but they will probably get used to it

nice, actually some nice features. Close to Mt Hutt for skiiing in winter, close to chch for shopping trips, if you are into fishing, a good salmon run in the river every year. House prices should be more reasonable than up north. a fairly impressive public art gallery and folks probably more friendly than up north. Not sure how they will take your explosive tendencies but they will probably get used to it
We bought our house in Hamilton 7 years ago. Its value has doubled in that time. We could sell and go mortgage free in Ashburton considering how much cheaper the housing is.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Was there a lake or river running through number 3? Kinda reminds me of Mountain Lake from the movie Dirty Dancing. It is still empty.
Yes there is a braided river in that valley that becomes a real river in spring with the melt. But I don’t think Dirty Dancing’s budget ran to filming in New Zealand's high country

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Lovely set, but I like the second one very much for the backlight on the grass and the snow being blown from the mountain.

Here it is high summer right now, but this picture reminds me it will be winter soon with that marvellous light.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Lovely set, but I like the second one very much for the backlight on the grass and the snow being blown from the mountain.

Here it is high summer right now, but this picture reminds me it will be winter soon with that marvellous light.
Thanks Nigel. I miss Bella Italia, damn travel restrictions

Yes there is a braided river in that valley that becomes a real river in spring with the melt. But I don’t think Dirty Dancing’s budget ran to filming in New Zealand's high country

No it wasn't film in NZ. It was filmed on a mountain in Virginia where I live. It's the only mountain I have ever been on that had a lake. The lake was bone dry by 2008 but recently with the heavy rains this spring it is miraculously filling up and is one third full. The scientists were never really sure why it drained. After it dried up in in 2008 they were able to find the remains of a teenager who drowned the lake in the 1930s I believe and was able to return him to his family for proper burial. Here is the article on the lake filling up. Quite interesting. I was glad I stopped and saw that lake and took pictures of it a few years ago.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/d...-itself-up-decade-after-drying-up/ar-BB16KikH

Last edited:
Wonderful set of photos. Family and I are planning a trip to NZ this summer (aka your winter) and I'm really hoping to get out and shoot while I'm there. Such a beautiful country

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Wonderful set of photos. Family and I are planning a trip to NZ this summer (aka your winter) and I'm really hoping to get out and shoot while I'm there. Such a beautiful country
Our winter is certainly the best time to tour the South Island. You might need to be patient though, the weather in the most photogenic places is unpredictable. I recall years ago having a commercial cinematography contract to shoot a couple of airplanes over Mitre Peak in Milford Sound, it took 8 visits out to Milford to get the weather the way the Creative Director saw it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom