A way to help prevent dust while changing lenses

Real Name
Andy
Thanks for sharing this. I'll try to remember it the next time I change lenses in a dusty environment. If Nikon would simply make it so that the closes the shutter every time you shut down a default behavior and disabling it for sensor cleaning, that would be even better.

Looks interesting. I find one step confusing. He said to pull the battery while the camera is turned on, make the lens change, then turn the camera on. When did he turn it off?

Real Name
Dan
I guess it's getting him some clicks on his website. But makes no sense at all. Any dust which would have fallen on the sensor simply lands on the shutter curtain instead. To be released to go where it please when the shutter opens. If this was effective then a DSLR would never get dust on the sensor. When the lens is changed on a DSLR the mirror is down and the shutter curtain is closed. And yet we get dusty sensors. The issue is keeping dust from getting into the space between the lens and the camera internals. Which the subject procedure certainly does not accomplish.

More dust will enter your camera when you focus or zoom than will when you change lenses. Unless you're always changing lenses in the middle of a cattle drive in Aridzona.

Real Name
Dan
More dust will enter your camera when you focus or zoom than will when you change lenses...
That's a thought. Although depending on the configuration of the lens elements having dust enter the lens doesn't necessarily mean it will make its way into the camera.

Or you can simply change lenses under water. No dust.

Yes, but the problem then is that you would always have to carry at least a pair of goggles so you can see under water, especially if there is a lot of salt in the water. And if you can't make the change within the time you can hold your breath, you would also want to have a snorkel with you.

That's a thought. Although depending on the configuration of the lens elements having dust enter the lens doesn't necessarily mean it will make its way into the camera.

Every time you focus or zoom, you move elements. Moving elements have to displace air to move. Air has dust in it, even if you're in the best clean room in the world. So focusing and zooming will always move dust in and out of the lens. If it's attached to the camera, some of it will get into the camera.

Real Name
Don Roy
Video is also ignoring the fact that opening the battery and CF compartments exposes the vacated holes and parts in your hand to dust too, and there is no procedure not involving UPS that can fix those areas if corroded. I have zero problem cleaning my sensor myself.

I've developed a method of changing lenses that leaves the camera internals exposed for only a second or two. I first loosen the mounted lens slightly with both hands. Then with the lens I'm changing to in my right hand I remove the mounted lens with my left and attach the new lens with my right as I cradle the body against my ribs with my left arm. I've never dropped either a camera or a lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom