A wedding by Philippe and Frank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Philippe Roger and I shot a wedding last weekend. It was great to work with him, as it took all of the pressure off me getting every shot. He brought along his own assistant, his beautiful wife Julene, and she was invaluable in helping us get organized and focused. She also did Sherpa duty, carrying Philippe's second camera and lens, and by the end of the night, was shooting away herself :).

Philippe and I will share some of our favorite captures on this thread. To start off, here's the lovely couple... Christie and David.

I find there's a shot or sequence of shots in every wedding gallery I've taken that stands out for me. For Christie and David's wedding, it was the first-dance sequence, because my wife and I taught them the waltz, and choreographed it for them. The bride isn't a dancer, and was scared to death, but with a lot of practice after our lesson and a strong lead from her partner, she looked like a star :).

View attachment 13102
    View attachment 13103
    View attachment 13104
    View attachment 13105
    View attachment 13106

After the dance, she was glowing, and ran over to give me a big hug and a kiss. It made my day :).

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You are becomming quite the WP my friend. You know that, last year, Forbes magazine gave 'wedding photographer' the dubious distinction of being the most over paid occupation in America. Terrible, huh?

4. I'm doing my best to bring the average down :roll:.

I'm still mostly a hobbyist 8).

5. Henk

Henk Guest

UF that first pic is outstanding, the following party pics shows their affection real well.

hehehe. your avatar UF, looks like you're from mars with that softbox as an antenna ;-)

keep up the good work!

best regards

Henk

6. Uncle Frank, that looks like a really fun wedding and you and Phillipe have done a great job in capturing the essence of it. Nice to see your post.

7. Thanks, Henk and Gordon! Glad you liked the pics.

8. marc

marc Guest

frank, do you still like the lightsphere, i have read so many pro and con

what is your opinion on it's usefulness and ease of use

thanks for the info

9. I've never used a lightsphere, Marc, but the idea of shooting light away from the subject doesn't make any sense unless you're in bounce mode. I find the diffuser dome works perfectly well for bounce, and the LumiQuest softbox works great for direct flash.

10. marc

marc Guest

frank i was asking about the thing on your strobe sorry got the wrong name

well ii guess you like it,, thanks

11. That's an understatement, Marc. l love it! I couldn't use bounce flash during this wedding, because half of the shots were outdoors, and the rest were in a reception hall that has a black ceiling and green walls. The LumiQuest softbox allowed me to use direct flash, and land shots like these.

View attachment 13108
    View attachment 13109
    View attachment 13110
    View attachment 13111
    View attachment 13112

It's a great $30 flash accessory!

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Nice work Frank! I always have trouble deciding what to have my assistant to - lug around my equipment, or shoot photos. As I don't get many keepers from the assistant's camera, I'm apt to have them carry around equipment for me, but sometimes that second angle works really well, and my assistant's photography is improving vastly.

So I usually end up having her shoot, and doing stuff like offloading cards and carrying equipment by myself, but man it sucks, I guess what I need is another assistant, hummm... My daughter's pretty helpful :D

13. Looks like a great time was had by all!! Very festive....

14. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Having moved to Texas 2 years ago, I can relate to that comment!! Only State in the Union that once was an independent republic! :) And most of the folks here still think it's independent. :D

Nice shots, Frank! Looks like everyone had a wonderful time. That softbox looks interesting. Can you post any information on it?

15. I am late (way late) to join this thread... I was burried at work this week and then a bit overwhelmed with post-processing as everything was shot in raw, that is over 800 pics on two bodies! :oops:

My wife, Julene, was supposed to come with Frank and I and just hang out and help with things like straightening out collars, looking for items out of place, etc... She did for a while, helping carrying around some gear and what not, and she decided to push the trigger button as well: I put the D70 in P mode, with the flash bracket on... and she got some really good pics, such as these: ;-) 8) :lol:

The anxious groom and best man taking his place
    [​IMG]
    A cool shoot of the photographers lined up...
    [​IMG]

Here are a few I took in the early part of the day that I like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my favorite:
    [​IMG]

I have many more pics to work on and may post some more later...

Hopefully, pbase does its thing alright: I have those in Frank's gallery and I am not entirely sure that these URLs, taken from a right-click are correct...)