1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A weekend with the 70-300VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Guerneville is a small resort town located on the Russian River in California's Wine Country.

100548577.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We spent last weekend there, and though I brought almost all of my lenses, the 70-300VR was on my camera 80% of the time. The occasion was the Vineman Ironman Triathlon... 70.3 miles of swimming, biking, and running. It brought over 2,000 highly trained athletes to town, including my daughter-in-law, Kristy.

The race began with a 1.2 mile swim in the Russian River.

View attachment 225447

Then a quick transition to biking gear for a 56 mile ride through the hilly countryside.

View attachment 225448

I caught a shot of Kristy barreling into the next transition area at Windsor High School.

View attachment 225449

Then it was another change, and a quick bite of energy food (talk about eating on the run)...

View attachment 225450

before heading out on the last leg... a 13.1 mile half marathon.

View attachment 225451

There was food and celebration in the Vineman Village after the finish...

View attachment 225452

but many just wanted a chance to rest their feet.

View attachment 225453

I had a ball shooting this event, and the 70-300VR did a fine job at capturing the athletes and their gear.

View attachment 225454

The winner? Everyone who completed the 70.3 mile event, including Kristy. I took her Victory picture later that evening... but I used the Cream Machine.

View attachment 225455

2. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Hurray for Kristy.

You know, it's all your fault I want this lens.

3. Nice series there Frank. Kudos to your daughter in law for competing in such an event.

4. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Of course it is. Nikon pays Frank to instill lust for their gear in the hearts of Nikonians. Case in point - look at the 28-105. Frank started posting about this lens, and showing examples, and next thing you know the price at KEH for used ones jumps 50 bucks. Frank gets his share, then sells the lens. Frank posted pics taken with his Beast, and you bought one. He posted pics from his 60mm and I bought one. Talk about a racket!!!!!

5. Hotplate

Hotplate

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Nice shots Frank. I assume this is one of the qualifiers for the Iron Man? They have one of these qualifying races at Buffalo Lakes near Lubbock Texas, where I'm from, each year. My family has a place out on the lake and we were there a few weeks back during the race day. I took the D300 w/ 70-300 VR out and got a few shots.. I need to get them posted. The weather wasn't as nice as the day you guys had there though.

6. It was a qualifier for November's 2008 Ironman 70.3 World Championship in Clearwater, Fla. 70.3 miles is half the distance of the famous Ironman World Championship in Hawaii. But there was a stellar field, including Craig Alexander, who finshed 2nd in the 20007 World Championships, and Samantha McGlone, the current 70.3 World Champion.

This year Terenzo Bozzone of New Zealand set a new course record of three hours, 49 minutes, 10 seconds.

Men top finishers (left to right): Steve Larson (3rd), Bozzone (1st), Alexander (2nd)
    100548778.gif

Woman's top finishers (left to right): Tyler Stewart (3rd), Joanna Zeiger (1st), Samantha McGlone (2nd)
    View attachment 225457

7. Yeah, it's a great gig... but I'm going broke :redface:,

8. Wow, what an incredible accomplishment! I would get tired just from watching.
    We are currently planning our 4th visit to that scenic part of CA
    Thanks for sharing this event, Frank.

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Excellent post showing the use of this great compact lens.

10. Sounds like Frank is part of the stimulus plan! Nice shots! A triathalon would be a dream for me to do.

11. Nice series from a nice little lens. I bought mine from Trenchmonkey and I have used it more for close-ups than for tele shots. It is also a great portrait lens.
    I tried it with my F-100 and it did work so it can be used with full frame also.
    Its AF is great and image quality is superb. I wish it was a fixed f4 but then I would have paid more.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

12. I like it for flowers and faces, too. I took these shots in Guerneville the day before the race.

100548588.gif

View attachment 225459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.