Critique A Winter Walk

Yesterday, I finally made it out to the Orland Grasslands.

In my Chicago suburb of Orland Park, restoration efforts began about 8 years ago to bring back our native prairie heritage. Of the millions of acres of prairie that existed in Illinois, just 1/1000th of those prairies remain! The Orland Grassland complex is an effort to restore some prairie, wetlands, open ponds and oak savannas.

I will have more photographs of the area to show later. This is the first one that I processed. The man walking on this path was telling me how he saw several coyotes, deer and sandhill cranes during his morning walk.

2021-01-03 snow-23b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks again for looking...
Glenn

Wonderful, powerful image. The hiker really makes the shot for me. He is just the right size in just the right spot.
Thanks for sharing, this is glorious
Gary
Thanks Gary...

I was focus stacking exposures and when I set the focus on the trees the hiker was making his way toward me. I shot about 8 more exposures so that I could choose where he was on the path.

Glenn

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I'll chime in! Superb image, Glenn! I like the hiker of course. But I also appreciate how the red grasses really accent this otherwise basically B&W image.

Real Name
Randy
Your processing skills are as good as your technical skills and almost as good as your eye. It’s a pleasure to look at your work and I look forward to more from your grasslands

i like the minimalism of colors and the path with trees on each side drawing you to the hiker.
Thanks Allan...I was pleased to see him walking my way as I had this shot framed up.
Absolutely beautiful!
Thank you, Phil
Beautiful image. So well processed.
Thanks very much
This is a spectacular image!
Thank you, Terri
Stunning, as always. Shooting/exposure in snow is so hard and you absolutely nailed it!!
Thanks Ken...the histogram sure simplified snow photography. I just check to make sure that the whites are recording far to the right--but not blown.
Great image and processing. The hiker adds to the sense of scale.
Thanks Alex...I was glad that he entered the frame.
Subtlety at its very best! An exceptional image.
Thank you, Mike...I was trying hard to achieve subtlety with the editing.
I'll chime in! Superb image, Glenn! I like the hiker of course. But I also appreciate how the red grasses really accent this otherwise basically B&W image.
Thank you, Karen...I also liked how the grass added a touch of color in this otherwise monochromic image.
Really well conceived and executed, Glenn. Nice job.
Thanks Dan
Your processing skills are as good as your technical skills and almost as good as your eye. It’s a pleasure to look at your work and I look forward to more from your grasslands
Thanks again for your very kind words, Randy
I nominated this for the front page. I see that Randy did as well.
Thanks to you and to Randy for the nomination...I appreciate it very much.
Brilliant...
Thanks Bohdan
You never fail us, Glenn......so very, very fine! In my mind, you are truly an artist, using a camera instead of a paint brush.
(y)
Thanks Don...I appreciate it
Just gorgeous, definitely worthy of being on the front page!!
Thank you, Connie

Glenn

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom