A wonderful weekend...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Nov 14, 2005.

1. It was a wedding weekend, which is always fun, but was made even better by the location (Fountain Hills, Arizona), the subjects (the groom's dad was my best friend, who passed away when his son was only 5 years old), and the company (Chris 101 was my backup for the wedding).

First, my thanks to Chris. It was a treat to meet him in person. He was exactly as I had imagined... clever, quirky, good natured, and fun to hang around with. I hooked up with him for test shots the day before the wedding, and used him as a stand-in for the groom. He seem very excited about my choice for the stand-in for the bride :biggrin:.

The Arizona landscape is awesome, and the site of the event, the Circle Bar Ranch, is an oasis of greenery and beauty in the midst of the desert.

View attachment 18253

View attachment 18254

View attachment 18255

Now fill it up with beautiful people, and you get shots like these.

View attachment 18256

View attachment 18257

View attachment 18258

View attachment 18259

View attachment 18260

View attachment 18261

View attachment 18262

View attachment 18263

View attachment 18264

I'm still in the midst of editing my photos, and haven't seen Chris's shots yet, but I already rate this as one of my best shoots ever :smile:.

2. That last picture is worth millions!
    dont tell me that is Chris101 driving the buggy!!!!!
    Looks like a great time and the shots are superb!
    Dave

3. No, the driver is a self proclaimed curmudgeon who owns a nearby ranch. He bragged that he has never smiled for a picture, and I took that as a personal challenge :wink:.

But some of my subjects didn't smile.

View attachment 18266

4. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Great shots, Frank

The bride and groom are going to be mighty pleased with these.

5. I sure hope so, John. I gave it my best effort.

6. Thanks Frank for sharing. It's a wonderful place for wedding and you captured the event exceptional well.

And it's nice to see Chris enjoying posing for you.

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

All terrific shots!

8. Thanks, Phil and Ken! It was hard work, but I really enjoyed this shoot. I had a great group of subjects at this wedding, and they made my job easy.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh man! That was a fun day Saturday was. It looks like you got some excellent - truely excellent shots, Frank!! I got a coupla good ones too, like the newlywed's first kiss:

[​IMG]

And even though the batteries in my flash unit were dying by the end, I did manage to pull this one out:

[​IMG]

Oh, and anybody wondering, here's Uncle Frank himself, right in the midst of it all:

[​IMG]

There's lots more to come (some of 'em are even in color!) so hang on!

Thanks Frank!!! It was a BLAST!!!!!

10. Great teaser pics, Chris! I'm sooo relieved you caught the bridal toss. The DJ caught me so far out of position that there was no recovery. Outstanding save!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pic! I've got almost 200 uploaded at this point, and am totally burned out... just like this weary model.

11. WOW Frank! These look excellent. (Yours too Chris!) I would be most interested in seeing more. I think you outdid yourself this time...

Now, all you need to do is clean the end of that lens...:rolleyes:

Good job guys!

12. Having shot a wedding with Uncle Frank before, I can relate a bit... This AZ event had a spectacular venue, great looking people, lots of kids, lots of funs, great opportunities, and some outstanding shooting by you both! :biggrin: Chris, your first kiss image is just perfect! :smile:

I can't wait to see more... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank & Chris,

Some of the best wedding pics I've ever seen. Just terrific. Looks Like a good time was had by all too. :smile:

14. You guys did a great job capturing personalities with these shots, not just "people in a place". I'm sure there was a lot of hard work behind this.

Any insights you would care to share on what you did to make this work so well? :smile:

15. These pictures are wonderful in quality and character.

Who had the most fun? Wedding party or photographers?

16. Chris and Frank...Very nice job. This has to be the most fun wedding pictures that I have seen and everyone looked like they are having a ball with a good sense of humor.

17. Jim, you're absolutely right about that lens. I need to take the UV filter off and boil it.

Philippe, from the look of Chris's first pics, this is going to be a HUGE gallery - lol.

Frank, thanks for the encouragement! I hope the bride's mom feels the same way.

David, while there's no simple answer to your question, but I think there are several keys.... understanding your gear so technology doesn't stand between you and the subject, preparing for the specific event, and empathy for the participants. Mix those together with experience and a sense of humor, and the results are generally acceptable.

Ray, Chris and I had a blast, but it was definitely hard work. The celebrants had more fun... but we didn't have to deal with hangovers :cool:.

18. REALLY nice work Frank. You do have a way of bringing out people's personality. My compliments. What a delightful counter to the usual "now all the single males with the groom" images. I'm envious.

:smile:

Rich

19. Frank,

Can you tell me again what kind of flash attachment you are using as a diffuser? Seems to do a great job...

Thanks!