AA Rechargable batteries in a MB-D200

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Picturepro, Dec 30, 2005.

1. after going to a couple store...
    Duracell and Energizer

2500mAh
    Walmart
    Duracell 4 pack and charger 2100Amh 1 hour charger, All the 4 and 8 pack of batteries were 2500mAh... Not Good to mix 2500 and 2100
    Duracell website say 2500mAh with 30 minute charge...

Target
    Energizer 4 pack and charger 2500Amh 7 HOURs charging WTH ?
    had only 4 packs

Energizer...7 Hours... just not for me

I'm looking for a 12 batteries... 1 or 2 chargers... 30-2 hours charge time
    Just it not on my store shelf :confused:

2. The best charger.....

Check this out!

http://www.kirkphoto.com/batteries.html#powerex

GenoP

3. Has anyone used 2500mAh rechargeable batteries with the D200 ? I just wonder how many frames they would give compared to the EN-El3e ?

4. Here is Another Battery Thread from here, scroll down to the post which quote the fellow from DPR, it is a post by Phil Howell. The pertinent bit is "so many I have lost count".

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017

5. not really... another battery thread... I posted on your title a little off topic about batteries.... Sorry

Well I went to Costco... they had Sanyo Rechargable Ni-Mh 2500mAh

1 Charger (4 at a time)
    6 AA 2500mAh
    2 AAA 900mAh
    for $21.99

165 minutes charge time....

if they are not any good... its Costco.. and I have my reciept

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Bill-
    That's funny, I went to my local costco as well and got the same set.
    I'm extremely happy- now I'm going to have to buy another set and some spare rechargeables so I have double the charging space and some extras.
    I need them for the MB-D200 as backup and for flashes- using them even partly charged tonight in the SB-600 was a revelation. My recycle speed jumped many times.

7. Well, I'm going a cheesy route, as I already have a raft of Radio Shack 15 min Rechargeable 2000 Mah batteries. Yeah, you guys with the "big batteries" will get more shots per set, so go ahead and gloat, see if I care :wink:

I have been using these batteries for some time in my SB-800 and SB-600 and they work great, can't see much point in changing out since I already have a bunch.

And the 15 minute charge is great, I can recharge in the car with an inverter as well.

8. 15 minute charge.. those must get hot...

my batteries are still charging... just about 2 hours... pretty warm

I have changed regular Duracell on location... out door, bright sun and dark shadows... fill flash for 200+ shots...
    the flash was HOT... and when I pulled the batteries... the were BLAZING HOT............

9. You BET they do, don't want to put them into anything for another 15 minutes or so, heck, I don't even want to TOUCH them!

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Sams Club sells 2,500mA 8-pack Energizers with and without chargers cheap! Perfect for SB-800.:biggrin:

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    2500mA Energizers are less than $2.50 each in 8 pack at Sams Club!:wink:

12. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Thomas Distributing sells the MAha Powerex baztteries and chargers at the bst prices (cheaper than Kirk for example) and I have had great results using them with flash units,

www.thomas-distributing.com

13. Battery info screen is disabled when not using EN-EL3E batteries in the MB-D200

14. Phil Howell

Phil Howell Guest

I hesitate to ask this as I'm sure you've done this, but have you set NiMH in the Custom Setting d8, "MB-D200 Battery Type" setting? I thought that was so the meter would work with the batteries.

My MB-D200 won't arrive until Wednesday the 4th. I was too cheap to get fast shipping.

15. no battery meter... Yes I'm set on the D8 > HR6 Ni-mh > ok

you do get a little batter scale on top...

No frame counter in the "battery info"
    No Battery condition in %

I uesed it for 2 hours with 200+ frames and constant editing want playing with WB

so far so good

16. Hey, there are always gonna be sacrifices. Nimh batteries lack smart chips like the E has. with the function set to Nimh AAs though, it does give a 3 stage meter. If you set the wrong type the meter will not be accurate and may cause the camera to fail to function as expected.
    The meter works as follows:
    Fully charged: battery icon with all 5 sections
    Low battery, ready spares: battery icon with 2 segments, low battery icon appears in VF if overlays are enabled
    Batteries exhausted/release disabled: 1 segment blinking, control panel and VF.

17. Phil Howell

Phil Howell Guest

I read that in the manual, but thought they were just showing us what "full and "empty" looked like and that there were other charge level icons for in-between. I should have known that the shots taken indicator wouldn't work without the smart chip, either, but I guess wishful thinking overpowered my reasoning.

I still plan to purchase more EN-EL3e's, but I think the NiMH AA's will be a great backup.

18. same here- my spares can't get here fast enough (have to wait for the 5th, when my shipment from 17th street photo arrives) considering my battery has a defective smart chip.
    I need more Nimh AA's though- I intend to keep a set for the MB-D200 as well as for my flash(es)

19. Harrison,

Yesterday as I was experimenting with NiMh AA's they work real well. I left to go do some errands and the photo shop called. They had received a shipment of batteries. They replaced my defective one and I picked up a second battery. My sister was getting married today and I brought both the D200 and D2X...using the D200 as my main camera with the two new batteries in the MB-D200. Wow what a difference. I used the D-200 all day shooting 274 Un-compressed NEFs. I also had the LCD on extensively over the day show images to every one. I mean literally all day. I even subjected the camera to extreme cold near the ocean on the NJ shore. Bottom line is there is still 19% left on the first battery and the second isn't even touched yet. My other battery was dead with 50 NEFs. I was also using AFS lenses and the new 18-200VR about 50% of the time. I am convinced those initial batteries are flawed and there will be a recalled. My old serial number had an X in it and the new is Z. I forgot to mention I even used the internal flash for fill outdoors for about 30-40 images which really weighs on the battery.

Here is a quick sample with the 85 1.4D. Too bad we had such overcast weather, and I have to find another shot where his collar is better....But you get the idea what this thing can do.

By the way I was really initially annoyed and was going to get a D2Hs instead....What a mistake that would have been.

GenoP

Nikon D200 ,Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D IF AF
    1/160s f/4.0 at 85.0mm iso100
    [​IMG]
    http://www.pbase.com/image/54209440