Aaack, it happened again...

G

Gr8Tr1x

I just got another email requesting my photography services on a date that I'm already booked!

I met this couple at the Daniel Stowe gardens last month, and spoke to them about what I could offer, after they had finished with the wedding director. We talked briefly on the way out, and they seemed interested. The woman, Amber, mentioned that the wedding would be held during the week, probably a Friday..so I figured I was golden.

Well, tonight, they emailed me and want to discuss using me...but its on a weekend date that I'm already booked! This has happened a few times in the past year and I know that there's nothing I can do about it, but it's like watching money fly by the window....

I don't book that many weddings...not by a long shot, but It just miffs me that my luck is so bad that everyone wants these random dates that I already have booked. Oh well..the sad part is, I don't even know anyone else to reccommend them to. My Wedding Photographer didnt do a very good job, so she's out.

The only saving grace, is there is slim chance I could do both of these weddings on the same day. The folks that emailed me tonight want a 10-2 time slot...the other wedding is up in the air. Its sort of only penciled in, as its for my church pastor's daughter. If they choose a later time, I can probably get both of them in...if so...hello 70-200mm VR!

Anyway, end rant.

I personally wouldn't schedule two weddings on one day... but then again, I wouldn't shoot a wedding if someone held a gun on me. :tongue:

Shoot them both if you can.
If your booked 10-2.. see if they can book you at 4:30

L

LMFS

I don't think its professional to shoot two weddings in one day.

Or Really professional!

If by shooting another wedding you aren't cutting into time that would be used by something related to the first wedding (That is time sensitive, editing pics can be done at any time) Then I see nothing wrong with it. If you fail to meet a deadline because of the extra workload though, then of course that is unprofessional, but if you get everything done on time, then by all means.

G

Gr8Tr1x

Interesting. How so? If both clients book me for four hrs each, one in the late morning to mid-afternoon, and then one in the evening whats the problem? Whether it is a heavy laod or not is another question, but how is it unprofessional?

Just leave for time between weddings for things like the ceremonies running late and the time it takes to go from one place to another and set things up and start the 2nd shooting. You should be able to arrive to the 2nd wedding calm and not be frazzled from the prior shoot.

And plenty of memory cards. Lock the 1st set so that you do not accidentally overwrite it during the 2nd wedding.

Good luck. There is nothing wrong in earning double income if both shoots can be done well.

G

Gr8Tr1x

Just leave for time between weddings for things like the ceremonies running late and the time it takes to go from one place to another and set things up and start the 2nd shooting. You should be able to arrive to the 2nd wedding calm and not be frazzled from the prior shoot.

And plenty of memory cards. Lock the 1st set so that you do not accidentally overwrite it during the 2nd wedding.

Good luck. There is nothing wrong in earning double income if both shoots can be done well.

I would likely have my assisstant (my wife) dump the card onto my laptop...but extra CF is never a bad idea.

Real Name
William Beem
Be grateful you're blessed with the problem of too much work rather than too little.

G

Gr8Tr1x

Be grateful you're blessed with the problem of too much work rather than too little.

Well, I dont have that much work, believe me, just unfortunate that what little I do have all falls on the same days :rolleyes:

Interesting. How so? If both clients book me for four hrs each, one in the late morning to mid-afternoon, and then one in the evening whats the problem? Whether it is a heavy laod or not is another question, but how is it unprofessional?

Would you want to hire a photographer who had just come off a 4 hour shoot with another client? Have you ever tried shooting 2 weddings in one day or even 8 hours of solid photography under similar conditions? If you have and the results are consistent across the board then you are golden.

It is unprofessional in the sense that the load is heavy and he presumes that the heavy load will have an effect on the quality of your work (not a bad assumption). In some cases, the professional thing to do is to know your limits and know when to defer and recommend someone else. Good luck.

G

Gr8Tr1x

Would you want to hire a photographer who had just come off a 4 hour shoot with another client? Have you ever tried shooting 2 weddings in one day or even 8 hours of solid photography under similar conditions? If you have and the results are consistent across the board then you are golden.

It is unprofessional in the sense that the load is heavy and he presumes that the heavy load will have an effect on the quality of your work (not a bad assumption). In some cases, the professional thing to do is to know your limits and know when to defer and recommend someone else. Good luck.

I work a regular 8 hr a day job during the week that is far more taxing than the same amount of time doing photography. For me, there has never been a question of whether or not I could do two short weddings or not, rather, whether or not the schedules line up that will allow me to do both. I have done long 8-9 hr weddings that involved various locations without a problem. I see no difference in traveling across town from wedding to the other, when in fact I do the same thing often when going from the ceremony to the reception. Both weddings are single location events, that much I do know.

If it works out that I can do both, great, if its too close, I obviously won't do it. Perhaps I won't end up doing either, and I can mow the grass instead.

towards the end you say the first one is only penciled in ?

so are you booked ( with deposit) or do you think you are booked? Which bride gave a deposit first?

just wondering,

Patrick

Well, what ever happens GOOD LUCK! I wouldn't touch doing a wedding with a 10 ft pole! I'd be too scared of screwing up somehow! And I don't think it's unprofessional to do 2 weddings in 1 day as long as the quality is there in both weddings. Okay, dunno what I'm talkin about so I'm shuttin up! :redface:

G

Gr8Tr1x

towards the end you say the first one is only penciled in ?

so are you booked ( with deposit) or do you think you are booked? Which bride gave a deposit first?

just wondering,

Patrick

When I said booked in the first post, it's more of a promised date. I dont have a contract signed nor do I have a deposit. Its a long story, but basically it was around the Holidays that Pastor of my church asked me to hold the date for her daughters wedding. I shot their engagement photos last November. The long and short of it is that they weren't in a position at the time to pay a deposit. I told them that was fine, and as soon as they were able to (Spring), we would sign a contract.

I'm not going to dissappoint the pastor's family by opting not to do the wedding now in favor of a bird in hand. They have been notified by me, that now is the time for us to firm up our obligations to one another. If they choose not to, then that is their choice, but I don't plan on leaving them hanging...even if they dont have the money to pay me, I still agreed to do it, and will fulfill my obligation to them.

Like I mentioned before, I know that the second wedding is from 10-2. If the other wedding starts in the evening, as I expect it to, then I should have no problem doing both.

Get to know the time of the Pastor’s daughter’s wedding right away so that you do not lose the 10-2 wedding shoot to someone else. Even if the pastor cannot pay for the daughter’s wedding you would have some paid work to do that weekend.

G

Gr8Tr1x

Get to know the time of the Pastor’s daughter’s wedding right away so that you do not lose the 10-2 wedding shoot to someone else. Even if the pastor cannot pay for the daughter’s wedding you would have some paid work to do that weekend.

Yea. I have emailed her and hopefully everything will fall into place soon.

Weddings are tough, I have only done (2) both as gifts, one to my best friend, for his wedding and the other to his daughters wedding (both with my film camera). Spent a lot of time reading wedding photog books prior to the shoots everyone was very happy and it was my somewhat expensive gift to the Bride and Groom. I supplied enlargements (Some Framed) as well as an album with all the photo's in chronological order. Applaud those of you who do it for a living but too much stress for me. - Jeff :smile:

G

Gr8Tr1x

Weddings are tough, I have only done (2) both as gifts, one to my best friend, for his wedding and the other to his daughters wedding (both with my film camera). Spent a lot of time reading wedding photog books prior to the shoots everyone was very happy and it was my somewhat expensive gift to the Bride and Groom. I supplied enlargements (Some Framed) as well as an album with all the photo's in chronological order. Applaud those of you who do it for a living but too much stress for me. - Jeff :smile:

I find it to be a bit of a break from my normal 9-5 job. I do enjoy it, though I dont think I could do it full time. I spent alot of time as well researching how best to approach weddings. I did several over the past year and I feel very comfortable doing them...the client always seems happy.

On a side note, I performed stand up magic for over 10 years and I always was apprehensive before a show...but I dont get that same apprehension before a shoot.

Latest threads

Top Bottom