1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Aaron York - Canoe Builder

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by husawis, Aug 25, 2008.

1. husawis

husawis Guest

[​IMG]

Abenaki, Aaron York from Vermont works a cedar rib for a birch bark canoe at Schemitzun 2008. Aaron is a master builder of bark canoes. Schemitzen, the Mashantucket-Pequot Green Corn Festival and Dance is held each August in Mashantucket, CT and features American Indian Craftsmen demonstrating their skills.

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    A very nice composition :) 

3. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

Nice shot! I was at Schemitzun on Sunday. It's a photo-rich event for sure

4. Do you have a picture of a completed canoe? Are they for sale?

5. husawis

husawis Guest

Norm - No, I do not have a photo of the finished canoe. Bark canoes go for about 1000 USD per foot and are usually commissioned. You may contact Aaron and inquire: ayorkcanoes@hotmail.com

Bob - I have attended all but two of these events, including the first at Hartford Civic Centre. This year they added a notice in their program that photos of tribal members required permission and signed releases prior to publication - unless you bought the program you would not know this - although a verbal request for permission has always been considered proper in Indian Country. Next year there will be a new format, hard to know what that will do to this fine program.

6. Fascinating and very well composed. Makes me wish to see more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.