AARRG. Color Management help desperately needed

Okay, I just create a new thread...really it was more like a novel...and it did not post for some reason....so I must rewrite again!! Anyway, I am illiterate when it come to the color management, printer, Photoshop combination. I had been printing very nice photos using PS CS2, my Epson 2200 printer, and JetPrint Photo Satin Lustre paper. Last week, in a very dumb attempt to get even better prints, I messed around with my printer profiles and PS color management options. I was not able to print immediately after making the changes, so of course, I do not remember what I changed. My prints are now HORRIBLE. Can you help??:redface: Here is what I currently have:

My Epson 2200 color management tab only has one color profile option (EE177_1 . What should my PS CS2's color settings be? Custom, North America Prepress 2, North America General Purpose 2, Monitor Color? What should my working spaces options be? As you can obviously tell, I need help. I may not even be asking the right questions.

Terry, it sounds like you are double managing the printing. This will lead to terrible prints. Either use the printer's color management or use CS2. If using the printer choose Let the Printer manage" in CS2. If using CS2 choose no color management in the Epson driver.

I can help you get set once this is eliminated.

Terry, it sounds like you are double managing the printing. This will lead to terrible prints. Either use the printer's color management or use CS2. If using the printer choose Let the Printer manage" in CS2. If using CS2 choose no color management in the Epson driver.

I can help you get set once this is eliminated.

Thanks for the fast reply :smile:...so then, where in CS2 do I select the no color management option? I have checked the PS helpfiles, but still cannot find it.

Thanks, Got it. I noticed an Exclamation button next to the Color Handling option that reads, "Remember to enable color management in the printer driver dialog box". Not sure where the printer dialog box is...or if it makes a difference in print quallity. I made the change, but am still getting bad prints. Any other suggestions? I really do appreciate your help!!

Good morning Terry, Sorry to leave you adrift last night. Your post came in at 11:00 PM here and I had gone to bed. I will get back to you after I look at the 2200 manual. I also will find an easy explanation for you about how to set up your printer settings. It is not hard just a little confusing at times.

BTW I deleted my Icon and some info as part of some housekeeping.

Terry I need some info. Are you using Windows or Mac OS? Have you checked the printer to make certain it is printing correctly. Are you set to either North American General Purpose or North american Prepress. (Edit Color Settings to check this) The answer about turning off the PS control is different for windows and Mac.

I perfectly know this has nothing to do with your questions but I quit home printing a long time ago. I was using a lot of time, lots of ink and expensive papers and I had more problems than anything else.
Today things are a little different for me. I calibrate my monitor ONLY. I set my camera to the Adobe RGB color space and in Photoshop I convert my RAW files to sRGB and JPEG for printing at a service bureau. This has been cheaper and my prints are excellent.
Your Epson 2200 is a great printer and you are getting excellent help from Steve so your problems will be gone soon.
Color management can be a nightmare!
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I perfectly know this has nothing to do with your questions but I quit home printing a long time ago. I was using a lot of time, lots of ink and expensive papers and I had more problems than anything else.
Today things are a little different for me. I calibrate my monitor ONLY. I set my camera to the Adobe RGB color space and in Photoshop I convert my RAW files to sRGB and JPEG for printing at a service bureau. This has been cheaper and my prints are excellent.
Your Epson 2200 is a great printer and you are getting excellent help from Steve so your problems will be gone soon.
Color management can be a nightmare!
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I completely agree with you that a service bureau is the way to go. They have better equipment, better software and expert knowledge.

In my case, I print because I enjoy the printing process. I like the feeling of seeing a beautiful print emerge from my Epson Stylus Pro 3800.

I am definitely in the minority, because not only do I enjoy photographing, I also enjoy editing and printing. The more complex and the more incomprehensible the process, the more I like it. This is my New York Times crossword puzzle.

I also have the luxury of being comfortably retired and to not have to make a living from photography.

If you are only posting on the web, sRGB is fine. For printing, other color spaces, such as Adobe RGb or ProPhoto offer a larger gamut i.e. more colors of crayons to work with.
ProPhoto is the native Lightroom color space.

You will be surprised how much needed information is available in the CS2 help file under INDEX > Color Management. It explains all the options available and when to use them.

I speak from experience having done this very thing in PS7 to cure my R2400 color management problems after first calibrating my display. To often we see divine guidance when 'F1' is so close at hand.

Latest threads

Top Bottom