AARRGGHH Censorship thoughts from my own wife

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maestrodawg1, Sep 2, 2005.

1. I have a habit of lurking around forums but not posting all that much. So today my wife is off and she starts looking over my shoulder a bit. So today I look at a Cafe member's pictures. They are some nice pics of people at play on a public beach. My wife looks at me and says, "Isn't it illegal to be taking pictures of that?" I say what do you mean? "Isn't that an invasion of privacy?" Your kidding....from my wife with a background in art.....Well no, dear, its like this. What's the difference between looking at people in a public place and taking pictures of them. If you want privacy stay at home where there is an expectation of privacy.

This is the second time this summer someone's questioned me about privacy rights in a public place. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't part the definition of public meaning not private or expectation thereof? I've run into this problem before using the 70-200VR in a park Trees no beach) of all places.

Anyone else run into this problem?

2. Hi Andy

When I am photographing people I try to be circumspect. If they are in a public place then they are free game from a legal perspective, unless you plan to profit from the sale of the photos.

Rory

3. Ok then. That raises another question. If I take a picture of people in a public place and the photo is good to sell, what obligation do I have to the people to 1) identify them and 2) have them share in the profits of that photo. I was thinking in terms of people in a public place only. One of the pictures I was looking at had thousands of people and would be a good photo commenting on beach congestion.

4. I disagree with Rory. I don't think it has anything to do with money. Just think Paparazzi!

5. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    You should have explained to her, that those "people at play" were the photographer's family ;)