Ab-800 & Sb-800

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by NYCPHOTO, May 10, 2007.

1. NYCPHOTO

NYCPHOTO

Jul 5, 2006
    So I just added an AB-800 to my collection

I want to know if any of you are using your bees with a speedlight?

Since the D50 doesnt have commander mode I got the radio trigger from AB will this also fire the SB-800 or do I need to use the Su-4 mode?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The AB radio transmitter will not set off the SB800.

3. Get some Pocket Wizards. They are the coolest gadgets I own.

4. They will fire the SB800 if it's set to SU-4 mode as you say.

Ronnie

5. If an sb800 is in su4 mode, it becomes a slave, triggered by the leading edge of any light pulse. So if you use a radio trigger and set off your AB800, the light pulse from your AB800 can be the trigger your SB800.

6. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas

The AB B800 does not understand Nikon Commander mode anyway, so everything has to be manual flash and manual exposure. However this offers vast control that Nikon CLS can not provide.

I use SB-800s in SU-4 mode with my AB B800s, no problem at all.
    Optically, you trigger any one of them, and it triggers the others.

The SB-800 fresnel lens limits it in modifier options, but they work in an umbrella, or can handle the background or hair light OK.

I can think of reasons for radio control, like bright sunlight or a few other photographers working same area, but for the living room where optical works really well, I dont understand why anyone wants to spend that pointless cash. :) There must be other more useful accessories to buy.