1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Abandoned Buildings??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taat2d, Jul 18, 2008.

1. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Thought you might like this. I know most of us LOVE the images frede posts of abandoned building, I KNOW I DO!!!

So I thought I'd share this. Enjoy.

http://www.opacity.us/

2. Thanks for sharing...they are awesome!

3. Thanks Joe, love old buildings. There are some nice images of some incredible workmanship in this site, as a builder, I love that sort of thing, so much craftsmanship has been lost. It is all Styrofoam now :frown:

4. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    It's funny how once beautiful buildings take on a creepy sinister look once they're abandoned.

5. Joe they really do get that creepy feeling, but it just may be like the woods at night, you know them well, but they are so different when it is dark and empty.

6. deadmeat

deadmeat

Jul 18, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    Great site!

I have always had a fascination for abandoned objects. They just have this mysterious allure to them.

One of my favorite websites, which I'm sure many here have seen, is http://lostamerica.com/

It gives me quite a bit of inspiration.

I just wish I lived somewhere with a bit more "Americana" to it, if you know what I mean. Abandoned golf courses just don't work as well ;) 

-meaty

7. Is there a similar internet place in Germany? Thanks.

8. Hey Joe

Kool site! I like going thru abandoned buildings. I've done enviromental study work on abandoned DEW line stations in the arctic. We had one job at an abandoned topiscatter radar station Called Baf 5. It was closed in 1971 and many personal photos and centerfolds were still hanging on the walls. The place had an eerie feel to it and we had to carry radios and shotguns due to roaming polar bears. Never encountered a bear but you sure notice any sounds that you didn't make. Also thanks to Deadmeat for the kool lostamerica link.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

9. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    That's cool Ted. Were you wandering around alone or in pairs?

10. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Nice find Joe, Thanks for sharing it.

11. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Thanx Vince. I'm actually getting ready to plan a trip to the Easternstate Pen, in Philly. My wife LOVES this stuff along with me.

12. Hey Joe

We usually went our seperate ways and the plan was to communicate every hour. We all had shotguns and our Inuit hunter hired as a bear gaurd had a high powered rifle. He fired off a few rounds to scare away a bear and everyone panicked since the whole place was foggy with visibility around 50 ft. Luckily we didn't shoot each other. I have several old pics on film and will try to get them scanned and posted this week.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

13. Thanks Joe, it was fun to look through them.

14. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Ted PLEASE post them if it's not too much trouble. I'm sure everyone would love to see them, I know I would.

Glad you enjoyed it Gordon.

15. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    That is really cool... Thx.

I love abandoned buildings... reminds me of this Chernobyl photo essay.

16. Hi Walter, im not sure, as do not speak/read German, but done a quick google search in german, and found these, not sure if its any good, probably best if you have a look yourself:
    http://www.urbanex.de/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.