Abandoned Insane Asylum shoot

There's an abandoned asylum in Owings Mill, MD called Rosewood Center. There's a part of the center that is still actively used, but then there's the condemned side which is a bunch of buildings that closed down in the 1960's. I believe it was closed due to torture and neglect to patients.

I've seen lots of photos of this place all over the net from various photographers and I really wanted to check this place out. I brought my friend Kristin along and she modeled for some photos.

Please feel free to critique

1.) I really like this one, but I think I need to take it back into photoshop and take some of the redness out of her face. I didn't realize how red her face was until this morning.
Kristin_by_skittledoo.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2.) I like the lighting on this one. This was taken down in the basement of one of the buildings.
Vintage_by_skittledoo.jpg

3.) We found this bench thing already propped up like this and thought it would make for an interesting shot.
Benched_by_skittledoo.jpg

4.) I really like this one. I thought about taking the building in the background out because I'm not sure that I like it there. Kristin really likes it in the photo so I left it in for her, but I may edit a copy of it without the building.
Under_Your_Umbrella_by_skittledoo.jpg

5.) This is my stab at selective coloring
On_the_edge_by_skittledoo.jpg

6.) I'm not positive how I feel about this one yet
Kristin_Pose_by_skittledoo.jpg

7.) These last two are my favorites
Darkened_Days_by_skittledoo.jpg

8.) We found this bunny stuffed animal next to one of the abandoned buildings.
To_Be_Named_by_skittledoo.jpg

Look forward to your comments

I definitely would like to eventually make a career out of doing photos by the way. Not sure what exactly I want to shoot full time, but I love shooting photos of animals and doing creative shots with models in my area.

noisey in what way?

Like they were all taken at high ISO so look grainy/noisy, I'd expect that in the basement shot but not most of the others or was that an effect you were going for? The look works on some of the pics but for example on 6 it doesn't help at all. Would be good to see the EXIF data on these...

I really like the composition of the shots though and the colors used, lots of contrast and you have a great model!

oh ok. I see what you're saying. That was partly the effect we were going for in some of the photos since we wanted something moody and edgy as my friend Kristin (model) put it.

I do think #1 and 6 are a little too grainy for my liking, but in #6 the lighting was awful and it was hard to get a shot without the flash that looked good and with the flash the picture looked like it had too much hard lighting rather than a softer appearance. #6 was a pain to try and shoot.

#3,7 and 8 I don't see as much of the noiseyness... at least not on my computer.

#3 and #7 are my favorite. Probably because, as you mentioned, they look less noisy to me. A few of the other ones have a nostalgic/old feel to them but I don't know that they work for me. I love the location, love the model, love the bench and love the bunny. I would go back and try again. Thanks for sharing.

I like #8. Would like to have seen more of the building. I has a lot of character.
Thanks for sharing

the posing and the type of photos you are going for are great. i would just research how to cut down on the noise. maybe if u post smaller pix it wont look so grainy

Latest threads

Top Bottom