Abby the Black Lab

I just keep staring and staring at this photo - It's beautiful. I have two black labs of my own. If this were mine, it would be blown up large and framed!

I might make a criticism abbout the shot of the black labrador, It looks like you allowed the camera do decide the color of the dog without considerring that a meter is geared to measure middle gray, Except your pretty dog is black rather than medium gray. So the meter should have been underexposed by at least 1 full stop to move the exposure from medium gray which the meter defaults to to a black dog. The photo of the sweet lab in your photo made him look gray, rather than the correct shiny black of a lab's fur.

The trick when shooting a dark animal is to actually underexpose the shot. Similarly, if you were shooting a white polar bear, you would intentionally overexspose the shot to get the crittet to appear white.

Exposure compensation buttons make such overriding easy to do. When shooting a jet black lab, my starting point is about -1 to 1 1/2 stops underexposure and then chimp and see how it looks. On occassion, you might need more than 1 1/2 or less thab oen. Really depends on the reflectibility of the coat and the ligting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. To answer your question Terri, we were just in the back yard in the shade. No fill in flash was used. I did do some post processing using Nik software.

Paul

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom