ABC Reporter arrested in Denver for taking pictures on a public sidewalk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Read story here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Conventions/story?id=5668622&page=1

Politics aside, my main concern after reading this story and watching the video is how the news reporter was pushed into the street and arrested while on a public sidewalk. As photographers this should seriously concern us, especially street photographers on public, taxpayer funded property. My street smarts would of made me react in a less confrontational way than this reporter, but then again I resort to more subtle means to get my story (a nice suit and a pocket digital camera with video capabilities work the same in getting your story). :wink:

Opinions welcomed!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  2. This thread will get closed down too....

3. I'm discussing the rule the law that affects us in our ability to take pictures on public property. If you were in a situation where you felt your right to take pictures was being violated, I'd freely give you my advice. If someone stole your image and was using it without your permission, I would point you to the right place in order remedy the situation. :smile:

Yet if you want to live in a world where you like being told what to do...:Teeth:

4. I retitled it to remove political slant.

5. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I'm sorry, but a public sidewalk in front of a business is NOT owned by the business. I know that there are plenty of good cops out there, but I get tired of cops abusing their powers. That cop should seriously be charged with assault in my opinion.....you know that if the guy pushed the cop around like that for no reason he'd get an assault charge....I don't see the difference.

6. I feel two ways about this. I do think the reporter was in the right and by all means is allowed to be there. But the other side of me, tries to understand the social aspect of people and if you act confrontational, people will do the same. Cops are on guard for this convention and are more edgy than usual. In fact they're waiting to do some beat downs! The best bet for this reporter was to comply, wait for the cops to either settle down or leave, and then comeback and it's business as usual. I deal with situations like this daily at work, and it's always best to take the more subtle approach unless you feel your safety is being threatened. Especially when a good story is at stake, the journalist who resorts to whatever means possible, gets the story. To me it's all about angles and thinking outside the box.

7. My word, keep posting like this and "they" will drum you right out of "the group" :biggrin::tongue:

Very well said, all around. The tough part, especially when "we" were not there to see the entire confrontation, is to really come to a conclusion based on all the facts. It would be interesting, but I'm not sure how you could this, to examine incidents like this to see if a specific pattern could be found, be it over-zelaous police/security or over-pushy/confrontational news folks. My sense, and experience, tells me that it is probably a combination of both, but I doubt that either side is willing to admit to their own culpability.

Nice discussion, Jonathan, and one of those that affects all of us, not just you slimy "street guy" paparazzi types ... :wink::wink:nudge-nudge:biggrin::cool: 

8. I love the art and the craft of photography to my very bone and I also want to take amazing pictures that tell a story and convey some meaning. I feel bad when people who want to take photos are told not to because they are considered 'suspect' because of the camera. And I don't want to pass judgement on either party involved, because I've dealt with 'legit' news photojournalist and sometimes they act like they're protected in some sort of 1st amendment force field!

Watching the video, I don't really agree with either tactics of both parties. Yet the main issue here being, they were on the public sidewalk and unless they were interfering with the hotel's ability to conduct business, they were in the complete right. I think situations like this are important to examine and learn from, because it can happen to any of us as photographers.

In fact I have to go to court next month because I was cited for interfering with a police officer's vision while driving. I was taking a GV (general view) photograph of a scene, it was dark so I took a couple of flashed photographs. It just happened a police officer in a cruiser, didn't like the fact I was taking pictures, and cited me under this:

Light Impairing Driver's Vision

21466.5. No person shall place or maintain or display, upon or in view of any highway, any light of any color of such brilliance as to impair the vision of drivers upon the highway. A light source shall be considered vision impairing when its brilliance exceeds the values listed below.

The brightness reading of an objectionable light source shall be measured with a 1 /2-degree photoelectric brightness meter placed at the driver's point of view. The maximum measured brightness of the light source within 10 degrees from the driver's normal line of sight shall not be more than 1,000 times the minimum measured brightness in the driver's field of view, except that when the minimum measured brightness in the field of view is 10 foot-lamberts or less, the measured brightness of the light source in foot-lambert shall not exceed 500 plus 100 times the angle, in degrees, between the driver's line of sight and the light source.

What's funny, I took the photo on a residential street while on the sidewalk. :wink:

9. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Agreed Johathan. Once again, the media has only provided what they want viewers to see. We dont know if that guy spit in the cops face, threatened him or anyone else for that matter. I do believe though, to counter these debateable issues, we cops should carry video so we can truly see both sides.
    If these officers acted w/o merit, they should be suspended, and this comes from me, an officer.
    I promise, I will not reply anymore to the thread!:smile:

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    There are some big issues being played out on the streets this week. Everbody is on edge. I won't go near downtown until this is over. It will probably get worse before it gets better.

11. Okay, here comes the kiss of death for this thread....:biggrin:

There was another thread on here a while back about photographer's rights and I left a remark that I really believe that police agencies all over the country have a PR nightmare on their hands these days.

The public see videos like this all the time. The disturbing part of this video was towards the end, while they are arresting the guy, you can plainly hear the officer tell the crew, "Okay, guys, shut it off." He is basically telling them to shut the cameras off. Why? What they were doing was well within their rights as journalists and they were not interfering with the arrest.

12. You know, constantly blaming the media for all of this gets a little old. Just as I am sure blaming cops for every little thing gets old too, doesn't it?:rolleyes: 

I agree, though, that perhaps cops should carry video devices with them. However, some of the more strange cop mis-conduct videos I have seen have come from the in-dash camera in squad cars.....

13. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    WOWSA.

That's not good at all. I wouldn't ever ******** with ABC either, dun dun dun.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  14. I've dealt with some really cool police officers in my job too. Strangely enough, it depends what part of the city I'm in. If I'm around the LA metro area, the cops are actually pretty cool. In fact they're respectful and I reciprocate the same courtesy to the media. Though if I'm working in areas such as Beverly Hills, I don't even want to mess around. Cops there are making six figure salaries combined with off-duty security detail for high rolling clients. Unfortunately I don't feel like their looking after the little guy's best interest. :eek: 

I agree, both angles could be slanted and for all we know, both acted out of line! Glad to get your input!

15. George Orwell must be rolling in his grave! :tongue:

16. It depends on where you are.

Here in Delaware, sidewalks are owned by businesses and homeowners. If someone slips and falls on the sidewalk in winter, the business owner or home owner will be responsible, not the city/county/state.

17. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Wow.....well I stand corrected then. I've honestly never heard of that and it's not like that around here. I didn't even think about city codes/state laws being different so I'll give my apologies for the inaccurate info.

18. I think for street, architectural photographers it's very important to know local ordinances. It makes for us taking pictures a lot easier!

19. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Yea, just don't shoot buildings in NYC. It gets the cops VERY nervous.

Carole

20. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I say get the whole story before making any judgment. You need to see the whole video if it will ever be aired. Far too many times the whole truth never makes it to the masses and the media wants you to see what they want.

I don't know enough about the WHOLE situation to agree or disagree with the actions of the police. Did they receive complaints from the hotel, guests, passersby or the intended subjects of the video? Were the reporters warned not to interfere with the operations of the hotel? If they were disrupting normal business and they were warned by the police, then they took action on the second visit. You can take pictures all you want but if you get aggressive or disrupt the normal business of the hotel, the reporters are in the wrong.

I have seen how brash some of these investigative reporters can be to get the story or make their point. He is getting world wide exposure right now. That's exactly what he wants. You wonder why the paparazzi get smacked in the mouth by celebrities? They push it to the point of frustration. They make money showing the celebs in a state of anger and make even more money when they capture one pushed to the point of assaulting a photog. That's how TMZ and the Enquirer sell papers. ABC News is in the business of making money as well. The big bucks and the fame come from incidents just like this. I would bet that Geraldo Rivera went to jail a time or two to boost a rating.

I say wait for the whole truth to come out. If the police are in the wrong they should be punished too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.