Abiword and Mac

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by bmiller, Aug 24, 2008.

1. If anyone is using this Program for Word Perfect files, is there a way to prevent it from also opening .doc files automatically. My wife needs to open and read .wpd files which Abiword does, but it also automatically opens .doc files, and they are not formatted right. I have ipages which works with .doc files perfectly.
    In windows you can set file associations, but i don't know how to do this in the Mac world.
    Brad

2. I've never heard of this software before. Is it something which is supposed to work on the Mac platform? If so, with PPC only or with intel-based Macs only or does it work with Rosetta to produce results in both? For that matter, I didn't realize that Word Perfect was even still extant these days.....

3. You can use Finder. Navigate to one of the files you wish to set to open using a particular program. Select the file, use the Action to Get Info. Down in the middle of what opens is Open with:, use that to tell it what .app to use for the different files, .doc or and .wpd.

4. Well, in my haste and on the recommendations i found, i assumed Abiword worked with .wpd files. It now appears Leopard doesn't support Abiword. This is a major headache for my wife at work. There are still documents being produced from older computers in word perfect format. Antiquated i know, but until these machines are gone she needs a way to open these and convert them to.doc files. I got the file from Apple's website.
    This could require a return to windows. Not good.
    Thanks Larry, i've now got .doc files to open in pages automatically.

5. Just read this so there is hope for you.

"The new update to Leopard is expected to arrive in a few weeks"

Here.

6. Alan.Tran

Alan.Tran

Jun 5, 2008
    California
    Bootcamp, Parallels, VM Firmare

7. OpenOffice?

OpenOffice can allegedly handle .wpd files. I have never tried it but the docs list .wpd as a supported file type. It is probably worth a download to see if it works.

8. Larry, that link doesn't work. I assume it means an update that will allow abiform to work on Leopard? I don't want to install Windows just to open .wpd files, although that is a last resort option.
    I think i'll try the new open office for Mac. I'll download it at work tonight where they have high speed and give it a go tomorrow.
    Thanks for all the support for the new mac guy.
    Brad

9. I installed Open Office Beta2 and so far it's working with everything. Pages kept crashing, so that's out.
    My wife has calmed down a bit.
    Brad