About a sigma lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Johan, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Hi,

I would like to buy some f/2.8 lenses in the (near) future. The Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 VR lens is my ultimate dream but the price is a bit too beaucoup for me, I do have the money for it but I will need the cash for other things in my life :? Anyway, besides that I think that the price of it is really high.
    So, I was thinking about purchasing a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8.
    Today, I have seen a Sigma lens with a Vibration reduction system on it in a brochure. I'm wondering or there will be a 70-200 f/2.8 with a VR-system coming out somewhere this year.

Does anyone has any info about this ?
    Or is there a cheaper way in purchasing a Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR ?

Kind Regards

Johan

2. Johan,

I have resolved the same dilemna buying the Sigma 70-200 2.8. It doesn't have an Optical Stabilization (I think this is the VR system at Sigma), but I find it very sharp and worthy. As I do a lot of landscapes, working with a tripod most of the time is not an issue for me. Else, handheld, I can raise the ISO maybe for a stop, or even two, and correct the noise in post-processing. I have posted a thread after my first experminent with this lens :

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=5240&highlight=

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Elf 8,

Thanks for sharing your experience, you are right about the fact that Sigma uses the OS-system which stands for Optical Stabilization. I have to admit that I have to hold my horses for not buying that 70-200mm f/2.8. I think it is a very good glasswork and it isn't that expensive at all here in Belgium. From all the people I know and that I have talked about the lens before are really glad with it. But in a way I'm hoping that Sigma is going to put the OS-system on this one. I really .... reaaally want such pro-lens, because I have been shooting with a Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 before. This lens is from a collegue of mine but I had to hand it in again :( :) It's like some sort of drug you may shoot a decade with your regular lenses but once you have the opportunity to give it a try with a f/2.8 lens you are addicted to it from almost the first shot, it did grab me and it will not let me go.

So, c'mon Sigma... put that SO-system on the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens :wink: And I will rush myself to the store.

Take care

Johan

4. Francis

Francis

May 7, 2005
    Belgium
    Johan,

I'm planning to buy this lens here http://www.sdcard.be/Nederlands/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=8980297 for the price of €748, that's about $895.
    When I have the lens and you want to test it, feel free to contact me :wink:

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    @ Francis

Wow Francis, that is very kind of you to give me that opportunity. When I'm at the point of purchasing one, I hope we can contact each other, have a meet and greet and eventually a testsession 8) I already owe you a few pints of beer :D

Thanks Francis, I really appreciate it !!!

Kind Regards

@ Paul

First of all thanks for your reply. I'm glad to read about your experiences with this lens. The fact that there is (has to be) a difference between original Nikkor lenses and the rest of the pack is clear, and in a way it is normal as well. I'm quite tough to please, if I take a picture I want to make decent pictures. I don't like spending hours and hours behind my computer adjusting them. So, the thing that I want is that the picture you start from (original file) is already good. Maybe you have seen a few pictures of those race cars that I have made. Well, I can tell you that the only thing that I have done was adjusting the contrast and brightness and most of them are slightly cropped.
    I don't have any idea about the price of the 80-200mm f/2.8 or the 70-200mm f/2.8. I'm going to try finding out :wink:

Cheers

Johan

7. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
  8. see that little blue button at the lower left in the link you provided..... just click on it :^)

9. Francis

Francis

May 7, 2005
    Belgium
  10. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Oh MY GOD !!! MANY MANY THANKS FRANCIS !!! Well, it is very clear to me, I stay with Nikkor. First of all, I thought that they were much more expensive ..... pHeeeww what a relief. Maybe I will purchase it much faster now.

Francis you are the man :D Thanks for the info. I owe you 8)

@ Elf_!

Let us say that that is even more unbelievable. I'm aware of the fact that lots of these products are much cheaper in the U.S. and Canada. But the difference is huge. For a 1000€ that the same price as the Sigma here in Belgium. You may always send one over to Belgium 8) It will find its place and it will be loved :D 8)

My holiday starts in about two weeks time... if everything stays like this then there is a big chance that I make a trip to Holland. We will see.

If someone finds any cheaper prices let me know :lol:

Kind Regards & take care

11. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    LoL, dmwphoto. Some day I will .... some day I will. I will let you know for sure. Maybe with a shot of that "bad to the bone" Uwe Alzen Porsche :D

CHeers

Johan

12. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Elf_8

I gave it a thought and taked it about with my dad. If it is possible, maybe I can buy one Canada. With shippings costs included it will still be cheaper.

Let me know

CIAO

Johan

13. Export is usually restricted, and you would have problems with the waranty. Have a look at Henry's.

14. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Ok, I see. I thought is was duable if there is such a difference in price than I have all the patience in the world. But if it is restricted it is all game over for me. And I even thought that Nikon had a worldwide warranty.

But before I jump into my car and drive to Holland to get one at that shop that Francis told me about, I'm going to contact a guy who has much more experience in buying stuff oversea.
    Holland remains the second option.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the info you have given me.

Kind Regards

Johan

15. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I used a Sigma one of these lenses on my Nikon F5 and F100 (when i had them) and didnt like it, the main reason was that the HSM was not as quick to focus track as the AFS lens. On top of that it didnt work at first becuase Sigma hadnt updated the circuits in the lenses to work with the new Nikon cameras, so i would check it before you buy it.

16. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    @ jgrove

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences. No matter what always interesting to read and to know.

HEhe,

I have contacted the store to day and normally I will order my "dream tool" one of the following days :D Unbelievable a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G VR 8)

To be continued

Johan