About Memes - general discussion

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
My friends,
I like to organize the memes in a partitial new way. I like to try to get more fun...

My thoughts are:
- Spring meme: Duration 1 week - free choice of camera or lens, that can change daily - no limitations
- Octoberfest: It seems 31 days and a limitation to max. 2 lenses is to long and restrictive. I'm thinking to cut it down to 1 or 2 weeks with the choice of 2 lenses.
- 50/50: It is tradition. Week 50 with the 50mm lens. I don't like to change it. Isn't it a good chance to use the great 50mm lenses again?
- Winter meme: Would be nice. OK, just for the inhabitants of the northern hemisphere. In Germany it is late January / early February when it is snowing. Not very reliable...

Suggestions are most welcome. Let's devellope the Memes
Klaus

IMHO Octoberfest was more of a challenge than a regular meme. I'm OK with the 31 days and 1 or 2 lenses, it provided a push to get me working on photos for a month.

But I'll participate either way. :)

Sorry that it has taken me so long to come and respond to this thread - my only excuse is that I have had visitors from Australia in the house and they have absorbed a lot of my time.

Having been here for the very first Oktoberfest and having been involved in a number of subsequent editions of the Challenge, I would much rather see the Guidelines stay the same. The event takes place only once per year and everyone who cares to participate is aware of the difficulties and the requirements. It is a shame that we haven't attracted more shooters recently, but perhaps we all need to do a little more work and try to convince a few others to join in.

I like the idea of the other Memes, Klaus and I would also like to encourage as many members as possible to subscribe to the Ring The Bell Thread as that makes it much simpler for anyone who wishes to host a meme at short notice. The interaction with other members of our Group is what really makes these events interesting to me - if it was merely the shooting, I could do as much on my own. Having the opportunity to participate in a few different challenges each year is a great way to learn and to share ideas.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Ladies and gentlemen,
after settling down for a while, I would suggest:

- a regular Octoberfest that runs for the whole month. Conditions as ever.
- A "Octoberfest - light" that runs for 2 weeks parallel to the regular one. Same conditions.
- Both will start on October 1st.

Perhaps we can assure new participants in this way. They got the chance to start "light" and hop on the regular Octoberfest if they like.

Critique is welcome.

Please discuss
Klaus

Real Name
Chris
I'd like to propose a new meme. Now we are just getting into the meat of Octoberfest, with the second week starting tomorrow, but I am missing my other cameras and lenses already! Can I make it another 3 and a half weeks? I dunno. It's certainly a challenge though.

The new meme would be a departure from the current status of memes - it would be a zoom meme. Ok, sacrilege to suggest zooms could even do a meme, but different zoom lenses have different characters, at least mine seem to have specific and unique elements to their personalities. Specifically I am proposing a seven day/seven image set, to be shot with a single zoom lens, and as a separate challenge, to shoot it with a different focal length for each of the seven shots.

Additionally, I'm proposing it be done during week zero: Dec31 through Jan 6. Everything is open to discussion of course. Please do, and thanks for considering my idea, whether your views are one way or the other.

Hi ya all!
50/50 meme is knocking at the door...

Be prepared
Klaus
Which day do you consider as the beginning of week 50? Do you just count back 21 days from Dec. 31st?

==============================================================================

Added in Edit: I see from Gordo's post in 2017 that it runs Dec. 11 to 17. I think that should be added to the rules.

Last edited:
I always assumed it was the week before the last two full weeks in December. This year that would be the 8th to the 14th. What are other people's understanding? I think whatever guidelines we come up with should make it easy/simple for people to remember on their own, as well as making sense in terms of the theme itself.

I always assumed it was the week before the last two full weeks in December. This year that would be the 8th to the 14th. What are other people's understanding? I think whatever guidelines we come up with should make it easy/simple for people to remember on their own, as well as making sense in terms of the theme itself.
According to the calendar on my Apple MacBook the 8th - 14th is the 50th week of 2019.

According to the calendar on my Apple MacBook the 8th - 14th is the 50th week of 2019.
I didn't know if it was restricted to a calendar week, or just 7 days. Apparently it's the calendar week that is chosen.

It was always my understanding that it was the 50th week. I know there has been discussion in the past on when to run the meme, what day starts the week, etc...

Years ago someone (here at the Cafe IIRC) pointed me to the Epoch Converter website, and I've been using it as a guide since.

https://www.epochconverter.com/weeks/2019

I'm open for whenever it's decided it'll run.

I'm in this year, with the caveat that I'm still not doing that great. I'll try to get out for a shot each day, but no promises. All of my shots of hummingbirds and others at the feeder are looking like every other shot after 5 weeks or so of shooting just from the apartment.

After participating in my first Meme, the 2019 Octoberfest, I can do no better than to urge all Café members to participate in the meme of their choice. It was fun, challenging, rewarding and a great learning experience. On top of that I really got to know some of me fellow Café members well.
I'm in for the long haul! People who think the Café is "dying" or otherwise otherwise less than useful should definitely jump in; It is one great way to share and direct and incite participation.

Can't join in on this one since I no longer have a 50mm lens.... Maybe the next meme I'll be able to participate....

ACK!!! I'm slightly addlepated today, as in fact one of the new lenses I just bought IS a 50mm!! Duh! Haven't quite adjusted my head around everything yet. Not sure if I'll join in on the meme, but maybe by then I'll have figured out the new camera and the new lenses; this one is a 50mm macro lens so most, if not all of the shots would be macro ones.....

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom