About the 35 f/2...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Dennis Carter, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Do y'all recommend using the hood with it? If so, what hood?

edwardneal, are you out there? Care to chime in?

2. I keep the HN-3 metal hood on my 35/2. I don't use filters, and the hood keeps the front element from getting bumped/scratched. I think it looks retro-cool, too :cool:.

View attachment 103800

3. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    'nuff said. I'll drop the idea and save couple bucks.

Thanks!

4. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Whoa, Uncle Frank, your post popped in while I was writing. Good point since I don't have a filter. Now, I'll actually have to think about this - hood or filter, hood or filter,...? :)

5. I use a hood, same as Uncle Frank, the HN-3.

6. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I've always preferred filters to hoods (offers more protection in my opinion), but I use both if I can. I don't know anything about the 35/2's hood, but I still always use the hood for the Tokina 12-24 (unless I'm using a polarizer, which makes things a bit more difficult).

7. Just like UF, I use the HN-3 hood on mine -- looks cute and does a good job!

8. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I always use a hood on the little 35 simply to avoid stray light. One of the things I like about the Nikon 35 over the Sigma 30 is the higher level of contrast and saturation of the Nikkor. A hood helps maximise that aspect of the lens.

I use a rubber folder (HR-2?), designed for the 50mm standard lenses.

9. HN-3 that is.
    And if you also have a 72mm clip-on Nikon lens cap, it fits exactly on the HN-3, so you never need to remove your hood from the 35mm lens again. :biggrin:

10. I don't have a hood but wish I did.

11. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hey, Dennis,

I use a Nikon HS-9 hood on my 35/2. It snaps on with a thumb button and snaps off with the same button. No screwing, which I like. I also use the same hood on my 50/1.4. It is firmly attached when it's on and comes off quickly with a press on the button. B&H had a few left last time I looked.

I also use a filter on all my lenses.

God bless.
    Doug

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ditto here:biggrin:

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The standard hood for 35mm is designed for use on a film camera where the 35 is a wide angle. A hood designed for a 50mm lens is a much better fit as it will do a better job of keeping stray light out of the lens.

14. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Great input! Thank you all for responding!

15. i use a hoya rubber hood with it, its on all the time except when i use my lee filter holder, then i'm sugar out of luck for stray light.

nikon cap kinda still works clipping into the rubber on the inside of the hood. some rubber hoods have internal threads which i thought i was going to get when i ordered it but it didnt.

basicly, my suggestion is to find a generic rubber hood with a filter thread in it.
    i use hoods on all my lenses whenever possible. light that ISN'T helping IS hurting.

16. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    UPS slid the delivery of my new 35 F2.0 from 7.3 to 7.5!:mad::mad:

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

so sorry Frederic

18. I tend to use a hood with all my lenses. I only use a filter when I have a special purpose for it or I need to protect the lens from moisture/salt spray.

The hood improves contrast with the lens. Of course, it can help reduce glare or ghosts from point light sources, too. Contrast is an important factor in any photo. It may be a fine point and I've not done any detailed testing, but it is the primary use of a hood.

A secondary use is to protect the lens from dings, etc. I think a filter can also provide some protection from dings, but for my shooting style, I'd prefer to have the hood and not worry about filters unless they support some specific purpose like polarizing, for example.

Regards,

Paul

19. Same here. Mine's an al-cheapo rubber lens hood which works just fine. On the other hand, I don't use the 35mm f/2 that much as I find the Sigma 30mm providing higher contrast and saturation as compared to the Nikkor.

036-2.