ABQ/Santa Fe

When we leave Georgia for our journey home. We are thinking going via New Mexico then up through Utah/Arizona

any “must do” routes or locations?

thanks. We leave Monday and don’t need to be home in Washington state till around the 25th

Real Name
Ken St John
We traveled a similar route on our way home from Maryland a couple of years ago. Although the plains of TX/OK are pretty boring, the two areas I would normally recommend would be Valles Caldera in NM (a really beautiful and uncrowded spot), and Monument Valley in northern AZ. However, I believe the Navajo park (which IS Monument Valley) may still be shut down for COVID. Not sure about Valles Caldera, but I believe it's still open. (Fun fact - our reason for stopping at Valles Caldera and Las Vegas NM were to see some of the scenery we had watched on a favorite TV show, Longmire. Although the show is set in Wyoming, northern NM filled in. The main character's "home" cabin is located inside the Valles Caldera nature reserve.)

We stayed a night in Santa Fe and were a little underwhelmed with the area. In fairness, we arrived late afternoon, and left early the next morning, so we didn't get out of the central portion of the town much but really didn't see much to be excited about. I'm sure if you get out and about there are some stunning areas.

Agree with Rick's comment about Sedona ... it is beautiful!!

Ken

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom