ABs for background lights...

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by P'Cola-Roy, Apr 27, 2007.

1. OK, I have decided to spring for a REAL bg light. Will a single AB 400 light a white bg enough for it to appear white? What type of modifier should be used with it, or will the beam cover the bg out of the box?

I saw this, anyong ever use it?

Any and all help appreciated.

2. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    depends how big an area you need to cover.

for headshots, and up to 3/4 body shots, i have no problem whiting out the backdrop with a single 300w/s strobe on full blast, with no modifier other than the standard reflector dish that comes with strobes (i don't have ABs, but they're similar monolights). for full length shots, a white background is a whole different animal.

3. Davo, how far away from your BG do you place it to get enough coverage for head to 3/4 shots?

4. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    about 1 to 2 feet usually...and then i'll have the model stand another 4 feet or so in front of that (i find at least 6 feet to be a desirable distance from subject to background). its sort of a fine balance between getting the corners bright enough, and the model far enough away so there's no flare/loss of contrast or spill from the reflection.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The AB shovel reflector on their small BG stand works well with the AB400 if there is room to hide it behind the model. For full length stuff, I have a hard time getting the BG evenly lit with a single light.

6. I just got an AB800 over on the FS sorum.

Thanks guys.

Hey John, does the shovel reflector snap in place so that it can be used horizontally, or will it fall off?

7. Hey Roy! Congrats on the AB purchase. I don't know anything about lighting a background, but the shovel reflector should be held in place the same way the regular reflector is secured.

8. The shovel reflector clips on the same way that the standard reflector attaches. You pinch the "antennae" on the top of the light to retract the fingers that whatever you're attaching. I use one on an AB400 and it does a very nice job blowing out the background for me.

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It is held in the same way as the regular reflector - it is quite secure.

10. Thanks Keith, Rick & John. I haven't recieved the AB yet, but it sounds as if it should stay in place no matter which way the unit is oriented.

I ordered the shovel reflector this morning before I went to work.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

11. I wanna see pics! Evenly lighting a BG is not a task for the weak of heart. You need a deep studio and two lights with softboxes. That's why so much of my work is against a blacK BG.

12. I'm gonna give it a whirl Woody! You'll see pics, good, bad, or indifferent.