Critique Abstract Pelican

I am going through some older images, looking for some fine art abstracts for a show I am considering. Is this worth pursuing?
I like the way the pouch has almost an architectural suspension bridge look, yet it is organic.
Thanks
Gary

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I agree with you, Gary.
The textures and shape of the pouch and the beak make for a great and intriguing abstract!
The head with the eye however, I find rather unsettling.
Probably because the pelican is not a native bird over here and as such is not readily recognisable for me.
So, the whole has a somewhat otherworldly effect.
Nothing wrong with that but in this case, I would remove the dark grey plumes between the head and towards the pouch.
This would enhance the look of a creature from a Pieter Bruegel scene.
Just a thought :)

Bart, I was actually looking for that "what the heck" feeling. I like the strong angular diagonals that are obvious in print from far away. As you come closer the detail in the pouch comes out, and looks structural. Then, hopefully, the eye is a surprise. It hopefully then takes people a minute to understand what this is, and if they have never seen the head throw of a pelican they may be lost for a long time. If it can make them think, as long as they are not thinking this is really dumb, the print works.
Rotating it 90 looks too normal for me, plus I wouldn't like it as I know how it is supposed to be oriented. I guess I still do this for me too.
Thanks
Gary

I was actually looking for that "what the heck" feeling. I like the strong angular diagonals that are obvious in print from far away. As you come closer the detail in the pouch comes out, and looks structural. Then, hopefully, the eye is a surprise. It hopefully then takes people a minute to understand what this is, and if they have never seen the head throw of a pelican they may be lost for a long time. If it can make them think, as long as they are not thinking this is really dumb, the print works.
Lots of thought given to what you hope or at least think the viewers' reactions might be and how that meets your needs. Gotta love that approach!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom