Abstracts with the 105 VR...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by gnagel, Sep 24, 2008.

1. I just finished reading a book by Freeman Patterson titled "Photographing the World Around You". I highly recommend this book!

In any event, it inspired me to start looking at some ordinary things a little differently. This afternoon, I took a closer look at an item that's been sitting on my coffee table.

Here are a few of the photos (captured with the D700 and 105 VR):

1- Green and red bars
    p469770412-5.

2- Stacks of glass
    p23863899-5.

3- Glass ribbons
    p278764381-5.

4- Flames of glass
    p316127929-5.

5- Glass stacks
    p431678045-5.

Thanks again for looking...
    Glenn

2. Glenn
    These are very very good. 1 and 2 are my favorites. You have similar tastes to my own. These look like some of the wild stuff I've seen in the abstract section of Treklens. Photography is not just the surgical reproduction of reality. It is using light, shape and form to create a mood, vision or idea. Here we have the ability to manipulate light through lens and sensor and then the additional freedom of modifying it in post-production. There are no rules anymore.

Thanks for posting these.

3. Very cool Glenn. I love abstracts.

4. Thank you Brad. I wasn't sure what kind of reaction these photos would generate. I'm glad that you enjoyed them.

In Freeman Patterson's book, he discusses the building blocks of visual design:

Light: the raw material, lines, shape, texture and perspective...and how they can be put together to create balance, proportion, and rhythym in photos. I found it to be very interesting--and his photos are spectacular.

Glenn

5. Thanks Robert...

I plan on capturing more abstact images in the future. I've done very little of this so far. But, it was a lot of fun.

Glenn

6. Very very cool Glenn... I love abstract and would like to explore that more. Is this the book you were referring to?

7. Thank you Rich.

Yes...that's the book. It came highly recommended by one of the instructors of a photography seminar that I intended. I finally got around to ordering it (from Amazon) and reading it--and I found it to be very useful.

Glenn

8. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Excellent.

9. Thank you John

10. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    This is very interesting - thank you for sharing.

11. Glenn,
    these are some of the best macro images I have seen posted...
    wow...excellent work....

12. Glenn, these are stunning!! I am so inspired!! I look forward to more... :eek: 

13. Very creative Glenn.....I really like glass ribbons. The 105 vr is my favorite lens......I should give abstract a try.
    Thanks again.

14. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Excellent work, Glen; I like the simplicity of # 4 the most, though all are good.

Thanks for sharing...

15. Really enjoyed those Glenn...looks like Amazon will be getting a used book order - thanks for the tip and the lovely photography
    All the best

16. Thank you

17. Thanks Michael...

And, the object was just sitting in front of me on the coffee table all these years! That's the joy of macro.

Glenn

18. Thanks Crystall...

I think I could get addicted to macro photography.

Glenn

19. Peter,

Thanks for your comment. The 105 VR is also one of my most used lenses. I tend to carry it with me all the time.

Glenn

20. Thanks Paul...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.