Acadia National Park / Bar Harbor & Cape Cod

We are booking a trip to Bar Harbor / Acadia NP and Cape Cod for late September. We fly into Boston and drive up from there. When we leave Bar Harbor, we are going down to Cape Cod to visit family. Any suggestions on where to stay in Bar Harbor? Somewhere clean and comfortable are the main requirements. We will be in the park and surrounding area for 3 full days. We will have 2 full days on the Cape. I the cousins will be showing us around while there.

If anyone knows of an interesting stop between Bar Harbor and Cape Cod, I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
Dan
Can't recommend any accommodations. Haven't been there for 10 years. Used to go every couple of years and always used B/Bs in Bar Harbor. Never had a bad one.

Regarding stops south of there I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Pemaquid lighthouse is a cool place to photograph IMO. If you like kicking around waterfront docks/boats etc then Camden and Booth Bay are worth stopping. Good places to grab some lunch also. While in Bar Harbor don't miss getting over to see Seal Harbor lighthouse. Low tide is preferable for photography. Low tide and sunset is best though it may be crowded then.

Can't recommend any accommodations. Haven't been there for 10 years. Used to go every couple of years and always used B/Bs in Bar Harbor. Never had a bad one.

Regarding stops south of there I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Pemaquid lighthouse is a cool place to photograph IMO. If you like kicking around waterfront docks/boats etc then Camden and Booth Bay are worth stopping. Good places to grab some lunch also. While in Bar Harbor don't miss getting over to see Seal Harbor lighthouse. Low tide is preferable for photography. Low tide and sunset is best though it may be crowded then.
Thanks for the tips. It will be our first trip to Maine.

Camden, Rockport, Freeport (home of LL Bean), all around Portalnd and lobstah roll food truck! Have you tried VRBO or AirBnB? We had a great rental outside of Camden right on the ocean/Penobscot Bay. Have fun!
Thanks. We are basinng ourselves in Bar Harbor for exploring the national park area. We are planning a full day to drive down to Cape Cod. Google Maps show it being roughly 6 hours to ge

I could give recommendations if you mention what you like, there's a lot to see (and do). Portsmouth has great restaurants on the way, and much easier to park than Boston.

I second the Airbnb/vrbo recommendation, although Bar Harbor wasn't that great when we looked, since my wife isn't into rustic. Ogunquit is very nice, near GW Bush's summer house on Kinnebunkport. It should be less crowded in September. There's a beautiful ocean walk and some nice restaurants.

If you have kids I can give kid recommendations.

I could give recommendations if you mention what you like, there's a lot to see (and do). Portsmouth has great restaurants on the way, and much easier to park than Boston.

I second the Airbnb/vrbo recommendation, although Bar Harbor wasn't that great when we looked, since my wife isn't into rustic. Ogunquit is very nice, near GW Bush's summer house on Kinnebunkport. It should be less crowded in September. There's a beautiful ocean walk and some nice restaurants.

If you have kids I can give kid recommendations.
We are staying with some cousins who have a place in Falmouth while on the cape. I would be interested in old seaports, ships architecture, etc. on the way to their house, I just need somewhere that is good for a few hours including a good lunch (not fast food chain).
We have been to Boston several times but never to areas outside the city. So exploring the region is very appealing.

Real Name
Alex
If you are going to go, make reservations soon. We are finding hotels are filling up.
Took your advice. Booked Maine for 13SEP-21SEP

Flying into Portland. One night in Portland then a week in Belfast, ME - Hotels in Bar Harbor were ridiculously priced, as expected. Belfast seems nice, half the price, and only an hour away.

Now researching what to do, where to go.

So far looking into Acadia/Bar Harbor - Penobscott, bridge and observatory - will visit a friend in Bangor I have not seen in over 15 years.
Have a week, so plenty of time to drive around.

Consider the following:
  • Acadia Mountain Trail
  • Ocean Path (a trail)
  • Echo Lake
  • Northeast Harbor
  • Jordan Lake
  • Bubble Pond
  • Sand Beach
  • Stone Barn Farm
Those are all on the list of places along with Cadillac mountain. We are also going to do one of the local boat cruises. There is a lobster boat tour that gets up close to the rocks where the seals hang out. Apparently the seals treat the lobster boats as non threatening unlike the normal tour boats.

Latest threads

Top Bottom