Acceptable photography?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gbenic, Jun 12, 2007.

1. My daughter is asking again this year that I take a camera to our community swimming pool to photograph her. I think that the other people may not like that. I have no intentions of shooting other people, but I know that I wouldn't want a camera pointed near me or especially my daughter.

So...what is the proper thing to do?

2. Well, it is an opportunity to shoot your daughter and as long as it's readily apparent that it's a father/daughter fun thing, I don't think others should object. Where you might run into a problem is if you post them anywhere. Don't miss out on opportunities to shoot your daughter - they'll be memories for years to come.

3. what kind of a camera do you have? I only ask because although it's fine to do this as a parent and it's a public place, some citys (places) may have rules about professional photographers taking pictures, or well, doing photoshoots on their property. So you may get some flack if you pull out a big D200 with a grip, a big lens, and a flash - so just be ready for that.

However, the worst thing that can happen is "I'm sorry sir, can you please put the camera away."

I'd do it, document the moment, get pratice taking pictures in new places, and just have fun!

4. Greg,

Taken with the D200/Grip/70-200VR at our pool.

161588492-L.

I know most of the people at the pool, and they know my photography. I think if the people at the pool know you (including the lifeguards and manager), you won't have a problem. Just make sure you're not snapping shots of people other than your daughter...then people might have an issue...

5. Take your camera and take photos of your daughter and the pool area, whatever- if it is a public area, by all means take photos of your child.

If someone questions you, tell them what you are doing. If they still have a problem, then that becomes their problem.

Nothing wrong with taking photos of kids having fun and acting like, well.... kids.

6. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    I think you would be best to go on an uncrowded day, and just make sure people can tell who the camera is pointed out..shoot from positions that won't have others in the background, and you'll be fine. If worst comes to worst, show them the lcd screen so they can see who youre actually taking pictures of. And if they get rude, throw in the ol "Don't flatter yourself" line :tongue:

7. Nice photo. I must say though, at that angle, it looks like he is setting up for a belly flop, lol.

8. There's always the back yard... :biggrin:

_D219445-web.

9. Do it - take the camera. She's your daughter and you have every right to capture memories of her, especially in a public space.

What I try and do is make it obvious who you are photographing, by maintaining a dialogue with them (slightly louder than you would normally) and when not using it - keep the camera vertical.

10. cgrab

cgrab

Jan 3, 2007
    France
    Take the camera, and take the pictures. I would expect the pool guards to take your side if anybody objects to your taking pictures of your daughter in a publicly accessible area. Creating family souvenirs should really not be contentious.

Hope you'll take great photos

11. I'd do it. If you are only focusing on your daughter, I can't image that anyone would have and issue and if they do, just explain that you are there to photograph you daughter and the pool and people in general.

12. A lot of the public pools over here now have signs up prohibiting photography anyway on the premises:frown:

13. Thank you, everyone, for your input. I will give it a shot this year. I think that I will use my film point and shoot as it is the least conspicuous camera I own. Plus, if it gets wet, I ain't out much money!

14. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I have taken my D200 and lens to our neighborhood pool on two occasions, once for my grandson's end of school party and once to shoot him and a friend. Neither time was I questioned or bothered by anyone. There is an understandable fear of strangers photographing children, but once it is obvious that you are with your daughter, there shouldn't be any concerns. You might offer to take pictures for her friends and any other who want their picture taken, but I would do this only if their parent approved.

15. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I wouldn't think twice about NOT taking the camera. Show me a place where people go that doesn't have a camera pointing at them anymore. 7-11, Wal-Mart, McDonalds. Cameras are everywhere, so why do people get uptight when they see someone holding a camera taking a photo of his own child in a public place?

Photography is not a crime, so let's not act as if it is.

16. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    If they are community pools for a neighborhood, like a HOA thing, that's understandable. If it's a city or tax-funded pool, then you have a legal right to photograph in a public place.

You may get your butt kicked by some angry parent who doesn't appreciate the way you exercise your rights, but you'll have the smug satisfaction of knowing you were right.

17. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Bring the camera, lense, grip, flash, etc... And a baseball bat. That should alleviate any problems with the locals who may take issue with you photographing at the pool. :)

Seriously though, public place where people wouldn't otherwise be entitled to privacy (ie. changing room, bathroom etc) is fair game.

18. They are run by the local authorities so are as such private property same as a lot of shopping centres. It is a pain in the backside that everyone automatically assumes the worst of anyone with a camera, I could not even take pictures at one of my daughters birthday parties when they had hired the pool, no one else apart from the party in the pool, they still refused:mad:, due to local council law not the choice of the pool.

19. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Dave,

Now that's a shame. My guess is that local council law wouldn't stand up to a court challenge, but most folks aren't going to take it that far.

What the hell do people think we're going to do with these photos, anyway? I shouldn't be surprised. I work with identity systems, and you can't believe how paranoid people are of biometrics. I think some people would rather cut their thumbs off than let us scan it to confirm their identity. Ignorance is dangerous.

20. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem