Acceptable photography?

I wouldn't think twice about NOT taking the camera. Show me a place where people go that doesn't have a camera pointing at them anymore. 7-11, Wal-Mart, McDonalds. Cameras are everywhere, so why do people get uptight when they see someone holding a camera taking a photo of his own child in a public place?

Photography is not a crime, so let's not act as if it is.

I'm a new guy here so I won't get on to big of a soap box but I 100% agree with everyone. Take your camera and document some memories. It is a shame that there are those out there with evil, disgusting intentions. When we as a society react to this by making it illegal or socially unnacceptable to participate in an activity we do not solve the problem. So some schmuck likes little kids and goes to a pool in Boise, Idaho to shoot kids. I say we throw him in jail for a long time, not overreact and ensure that the rest of us can't take pictures except in our own homes.

Ok, sorry..........So what lense are you going to use?

I have read this thread with interest, the comments pro and con make for some great conversation. Taking into consideration that I work for a municipality and have a reasonable understanding how governments work, I would strongly recommend that you contact the pool owners, whoever they are, by telephone and inquire if any strict regulations are in place regarding photography at the pool. You have to understand that the pool staff are not high-level managers and are likely to ask you to stop shooting if you raise their eyebrows or if some other patron complaints about your actions. They don't need drama in their day, not for $5 per hour. No one is accusing you of doing something elicit, but taking some prudent steps before you enter the pool area may be well worth your effort. If you do get approval, don't forget to jot down the name of the person and their telephone number, just in case you need to contact them from the pool deck.

P

photoshooter

By all means take your camera, take your biggest lens and shoot away.

Take the d70 or whatever, if you want good shots, you will never get them with a p&s.

We take pictures of our kids always at our community pool. Never had anyone say one word. I must admit that most know me, and know i shoot professionally.

Get some fun shots on the board, post and let everyone hear, share your joy.

My daughter is asking again this year that I take a camera to our community swimming pool to photograph her. I think that the other people may not like that. I have no intentions of shooting other people, but I know that I wouldn't want a camera pointed near me or especially my daughter.

Stupid question maybe, but since you are a photographer, why do you object to being photographed, either you or your daughter?

I'm old enough to remember the days when people were flattered if you wanted to take their photo.... I don't understand the problem that seems to be more common with photography these days.

So...what is the proper thing to do?

I agree with the others that say take the camera and take the photos that you want. That's what I'd do. :smile: Frank has a good point though, it wouldn't hurt to check out their policy in advance, to avoid needless drama.

Stupid question maybe, but since you are a photographer, why do you object to being photographed, either you or your daughter?

No, a very valid question. I am not comfortable on the other side of the lens. I am a bit self-conscious. As far as my daughter, I should have clarified that I wouldn't be happy if a bald, old, fat man was pointing a camera at her. If he is taking shots and she is part of the "scenery", I am okay with that.

Real Name
William Beem
If I ever want to take a photo of someone I don't know, I typically approach them first and see if it's alright with them. If the subject is a child, I'll find whatever adult is with them. Some say yes, some say no. If they decline, I move on to something else.

Sometimes you get something cute just for asking:

304461676_49aa1af468_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have taken

quite a few shots at our pool with my D200 and 70-200 VR, especially at the swim meets. People take notice and some have even asked for shots. There is one person there that puts together a slide show at the end of the season, and he has asked if I would contribute. At our pool, anyways, it is not a problem, especially since many folks know our kids, and vice versa.

I don't understand why people automatically believe a guy with a camera is always up to no good, especially a SLR type camera. I was shooting a huge teen dance competition at one of the larger hotels in Atlanta a few years back, the whole place was packed. I was just coming from another shoot and didn't have time to clean and prep the cameras and lenses for the next round before getting there, so I found sanctuary out by the pool, the only place left with seating. The camera bodies had caps on them, same with the lenses as I cleaned them, checked batteries, etc. Some over jealous parent called hotel security on me and I got questioned 10 ways from Sunday about what I was doing.

Gah....just go to the darn pool...but as Beezle says...there is the back yard!

RSTess%20%201850.jpg

RSTess%20%201851.jpg

RSTess%20%201852.jpg

I've noticed that because small P&Ss (and camcorders as well) are so ubiquitous these days that people are very much acclimated to them and don't seem to really notice when they're pulled out, what they're pointing at, etc. It's the big cameras and lenses, I think, that people find imposing. It tends to give kind of this private investigator look that I think starts to give off warning signs in people's heads.

I've noticed that because small P&Ss (and camcorders as well) are so ubiquitous these days that people are very much acclimated to them and don't seem to really notice when they're pulled out, what they're pointing at, etc. It's the big cameras and lenses, I think, that people find imposing. It tends to give kind of this private investigator look that I think starts to give off warning signs in people's heads.

Exactly, when someone has a p&s, its assumed they just want pictures for memories. But when someone has a DSLR, people think you are with a newspaper, or magazine, or are just a stalker.

Real Name
Dave
Actually with digital there is an easy solution to squelching the fears of anyone who is concerned - just let them index through the images if they ask!

Latest threads

Top Bottom