Acquired an F5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seabee1999, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Good day to all. Several months ago I had a lot of my camera gear stolen from my Jeep. Since then I have been able to recoop my loss with an insurance check. I regained all my gear and on a whim of sorts bought a used F5. I have an F4 as well and I am used to the mechanics and the layout of that body. Has anyone out there had any experience with an F5 and all its custom features? Any other advice is greatly appreciated as well concerning the F5.

God Bless,
    David

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I shoot my F5 the same way as the F4s. I really haven't used the custom settings, as you need a cable to connect with a PC and the Nikon software to make changes. While the capability is there, I haven't found the F5 lacking enough to warrant the expense of looking at the custom functions. The biggest difference is in the way the aperture and shutter speeds are controlled, the F4s is all mechanical and the F5 uses the two wheels. I have both cameras equiped with the grid sceeens which I find more to my liking. Exposure wise, I almost always shoot Aperture priority, and I'd give the edge to the F5. Where the F5 really shines is in TTL flash. I use an old SB24 (from the F4s days) and when set to my usual fill ratio of -2.3-2.7, the F5 does a fantastic job of balancing fill flash shots. I have used the auto bracketing on the F5, have the MF-23 for the F4s. The MF data back has more features, but auto bracket is all I need.
    Enjoy the F5, it's a great camera, the AF is much quicker than the F4s and you can use the AFS, VR and G lenses with it!!

3. Congratulations on your F5!

The only film camera I have is the Canon AE-1 Program which I don't use much since I have the D2X.

4. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Nikon F5 what a work horse, the F4 was the beast and always will be in my book. The F series from Nikon have always been top notch, and if i have a lotto win fall the F6 is on my list, just after a new car with no dents in it LOL

5. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    [Several months ago I had a lot of my camera gear stolen from my Jeep. Since then I have been able to recoop my loss with an insurance check. I regained all my gear and on a whim of sorts bought a used F5.

David,
    I still own an F5 even though I now shoot with a D2X. Actually I cannot give-up film photography totally - as yet. My personnal opinion is that the F5 is the best (modern) camera they have built, and I think you will like it.
    Good shooting,
    Robert