Acr 3.2

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Iliah, Sep 22, 2005.

1. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for the link, Iliah. I downloaded it and will see what it does.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    thank you Illiah,

What do the mean

"DNG....3.2

I know the extention and meaning. Just wondering why that mane particularly.

3. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Gale,

If I got you question right... that means converter to DNG format is included in the package

4. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Any improvements other than adding cameras?

5. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    What's new?

Any improvements other than adding cameras?

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yes, the ACR 3.2 package contains the ACR plugin and the DNG converter application. Both programs will decode the Nikon NEF ("encrypted") white balance data correctly. Adobe is using Nikon's SDK to do the white balance conversion, so it should be identical to WB from NC.

7. Did you happen to notice the date of the files?
    8/22/2005.

Isn't that about 2-3 weeks before the Nikon/Adobe press release? :confused:

Russ

8. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    My version is dated September, 15. But internal dates are August 22, indeed

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Iliah,

I thought the dng...was always there. hummm..

Guess because i always save to tiff.
    What is the benefit of dng. Same size. Not universal yet.

What am I missing. Nothing I don't think.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The advantage of DNG over TIFF is that DNG is a RAW file, and you can do all the RAW manipulations on it, like change exposure and white balance. You can't do that with tiff. The advantage over NEF takes a bit of Faith to see.

11. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I think you are right. If you have ACR 3.2 working, then converting to DNG make little sense to me, at least at the present state of matters.

12. DNG is simply Adobe's shot at being THE creator of a universal RAW format that they hope will eventually be embraced by all camera manufacturers.

13. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Mac Version?

Does anyone know where the Mac version is? The web site will not even find the download linked by Iliah

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dear Iliah,

Thank You ..

15. DNG = Digital NeGative
    Now that Nikon which I think was the last holdout is sharing file programming with Adobe, it may actually be a step closer to a universal raw file (DNG). I was skeptical at first, but who knows? Perhaps, if Nikon Capture sales fall off enough and Nikon and the rest, all figure out that they are camera manufacturers not software makers and that the image is the property of the photographer, they will not cling so tenatiously to the proprietary rights of their own raw file. I would much rather see R&D dollars and engineers focusing on betteer hardware and let those that do software the best, work on that to get the best possible result. Seems simple to my little brain. Wonder why the big brains with the white coats can't figure that out?

If by some miracle Nikon and others do finally resign to the fact that the raw file is not proprietary or should not be and adopt a DNG Adobe raw file as the default, pro's who sell their files and those who are collecting gigantic volumes of raw files (some in the tens or hundreds of thousands)are going to have a bit of difficulty converting them all.

Anyway, for today, I am sticking to NEF as the master file and don't have a need for DNG.

16. went out and shot a few throw aways to compare ACR 3.2 to Capture 4.2.1. The white balance is the same now but I noticed that the image has darker shadows and overall exposure in Capture. With those minor adjustments, they are about the same however. Not a W/B problem, just an exposure issue. both being opened in Adobe RGB 16 bits same resolution and size file otherwise.

Does anyone else experience this?

17. What I need now if for Adobe to update Bridge to better handle D50 files. I use Bridge to note exposure information, and some of that is missing for D50 images.

ACR seems okay, though I think I will stick with NC.

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    That url is a dead link for me.