1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

ACR and LR2 new Camera specific RAW profile test

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by wgilles, Oct 4, 2008.

1. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    After reading an article in the new issue of Photoshop User about Adobe's ACR and LR2 camera specific RAW profiles, I decided to give them a try.

First of all, you can download them here:
    http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

They have a standard name for each profile (A total of 11 including the original ACR profiles) They are: ACR 4.4, ACR 4.3, Adobe Standard Beta 1, Camera D2X Mode 1 beta 1, Camera D2X Mode 2 beta 1, Camera D2X Mode 3 beta 1, Camera landscape beta 1, Camera Neutral beta 1, Camera Portrait beta 1, Camera standard beta 1, and Camera vivid beta 1.

Although they have the D2X name, they are camera specific and will only show profiles for your camera. The D2X is just the name given to it (for which reason I do not know). They are very nice profiles and depending on the camera add warmer and more vivid colors. I tried the profiles on images from 2 different cameras. I tried it on a picture from my old D80 and a newer picture with a lot of colors from my new D300. Each of the profiles has a different effect on every image, some images I tried came out FUGLY when used with certain profiles, but some came out wonderful. I took the 11 test results and put them into Photoshop and made a little collage for you all to look at. Click on the link below the image to see full size.

Overall I feel the new camera profiles work great and I will be trying them on all of my keeper images in the future and maybe applying them to some of my older images. Adobe made them to mimic the way images look in the camera manufacturers program (NX 2) and I feel they did a pretty good job. The profiles themselves can be edited with Adobe's DNG software so that you are able to further fine tune the images.

I give the new profiles a 9/10.

NOTE: ACR 4.4 is the standard profile for ACR and LR2

[​IMG]
    http://wgilles.smugmug.com/photos/386184257_wRX4B-X3.jpg

[​IMG]
    http://wgilles.smugmug.com/photos/386184298_KWLYd-X3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I was justing looking at these profiles last night! I shoot raw with the D300. I have ACR 4.4 set as default, but tried the other profiles. Most gave slight differences - but as you said - some were definitely better than others.

They offer a quick was to tweak a raw file before futher adjustments.

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I thought the Vivid, Landscape, and D2X Version 2 had the best results. At least with the images I tried.

4. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Hard to tell without knowing what the original scene looked like.

5. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    ACR 4.4 would be the original, unless you mean before I even took the picture?

6. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    How do you change the default that it uses when it imports your raw files?

7. ACR 3.3, ACR 4.4 (and other numbers too) are the profiles that came with the various versions of LR and the number indicates the version of ACR (which LR includes) that was current when the profile was made for that camera. For example, for my D2H, that number is 2.4...

Only the profiles called "Adobe Standard" or "Camera xxx" are the new profiles. The name D2X (mode I, II, III) merely mirror Nikon's naming of those same Color Profiles, and thus do not apply only to the D2X camera, but to pretty much anything.

I found that Landscape and Portrait give the best starting points, depending on the content of the images, of course (landscape and portraits, respectively, duh!).

Here is a tip: create developer's presets with each of the profiles (i.e. select only the calibration tab when creating the preset). That way, you can simply hover your mouse over the preset and see a quick preview in the navigator window, without having to apply the profile. It's much quicker if you are guessing which profile to apply to a given pic.

8. You can create developer's preset and apply it (like any other preset) during the import.

Note that your life will be easier (i.e. the LR starting point will match the embedded JPEG preview) if you select the same profile as the Picture Control that was used in the camera. Of course, you'll have to remember which Picture Control was used for which picture, or group of pictures. You can use either the camera LCD or ViewNX to help you with that...

9. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I know the ACR profiles come with LR and ACR, but I wanted to include them as a comparison. Thanks for the tip about the default preset.:biggrin:

10. No, the original would be the shot from the camera and converted with NX/NX2. To get a proper indication of how good the profiles are you need to convert the original NEF files with the same picture controls from NX2 and view them side by side.

11. OK, how about someone with both NX and either ACR or LR making a test of a few of the new profiles when compared, side-by-side, with a conversion done via NX?

Anybody?

12. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Okay, thanks, I will have to open up NX2 and make a conversion from there

13. Far from every profile/PC, just to give an idea of how ACR/LR beta profiles match/Compare to NX picture controls.

Image straight from the camera no adjustment other then changing profile/Picture control was done.

Left side NX Picture control / Portrait Right side ACR Beta profile / Portrait
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Left Side NX Picture control / Standard Right side ACR Beta profile / Standard
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Kindest

14. Thanks Paul. I'm always a little suspicious about making judgement calls on images from the Internet; however, I'd say this mini test hints that Adobe did a nice job.

I can detect a small bit of difference between the two versions, but I certainly can't say that one is "better" than the other, at least by looking at the examples you posted.

What say you?

15. Hi Bob!

With all right to be, most of the time i print them out to make a comparison. But also evaluate on my CG panel in PS.

I think Adobe done a pretty good job to match, there are diffrences, but not any major one imo.

I cant say i perfer one of the other either, since this very much depends on the image i work with.

But for this particular shot id probebly go with ACR portrait, and NX standard.

Kindest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  16. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Paul -

Thank you so much for doing this! It is very much appreciated!

17. Nice work Paul - thanks for posting them...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.