ACR Lost after Capture Update

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Mike Z, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I keep on forgetting the modification in PSCS after you install a new version of Capture to get ACR back. Any help would really be appreciated.
    Mike

2. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Found the answer myself on the NikonUSA FAQ. For those who are interested.

3. Mike,

With CS2 (and I think CS will work this way as well), you don't have to delete the Nikon Plugin to use ACR. I like having the choice of using them both. When I right-click on an NEF in Bridge, one of the options is "Open With...", which allows you to select ACR. You can do this with multiple images selected as well.

4. Deleteing NEF Plug-In

Here you go. This is from Bob Johnson's EarthboundLight site. He's a genious.

"On Windows, the plugin for Adobe Camera Raw is called Camera Raw.8bi and lives in "Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats". The plugin for Nikon View is Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi and gets installed to "Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats". BibbleFormat.8bi is the plugin provided with Bibble. It can be found in "Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats". If you choose to rename the ones not in use rather than delete them, simply change the suffix to something other than "8bi" and Photoshop will ignore them. Make sure Photoshop is not running when you make your changes since you can not delete or rename files that are in use.

On Mac OS, the folder names are similar but the plugins don't have the "8bi" suffix. To rename one, simply put a "~" in front of its name, as in ~Nikon NEF Plugin.

If you have more than one of these present, the Nikon View one has priority with the Adobe Camera Raw one being second. The Bibble plugin can only be accessed if you rename or delete both of the other two".

5. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Christian & Hecky,
    Thanks for the assistance. I saved the instructions this time.
    Mike

6. I have the same problem except I have never had ACR since I installed CS2. Does anyone know what may have happened. Do I need to download it from Adobe's site?

7. Catz,

I'm sure you do have it, but you might not have the most recent version (3.1 I think). What happens is that when you install Capture, the Capture converter takes over priority when an NEF is opened. The typical response if you want to go back to using ACR is to rename the NEF converter plugin. I would not delete it, in case you might decide to experiment or compare the two converters some day.

In the newest version of ACR a message dialog pops up when you open an NEF, to tell you that Capture has taken priority of the NEF, and in case you want to use ACR it tells you exactly what directly the Capture plugin is installed to (so you can delete or rename it).

However, in the newest version of Bridge is the ability to leave the Capture plugin installed and still use ACR if you choose. I like having both options. In Bridge, you can right-click on your NEF and a message dialog pops up. One of the options is "Open With" and just under that is "Open in Camera Raw". So I can either open the NEF into Capture or into ACR, directly from Bridge.

If you want these options (and even if you don't), I would go to Adobe's web site and download the newest versions of both Bridge and ACR. Then you can have the choice, or just rename it based on where ACR tells you the Capture plugin is located.

8. Just a note.. I notice you're a D2X shooter. You should be aware that as of yet, ACR is unable to decode the White Balance encoded into the D2X RAW files, so you might want the opportunity to run Capture in order to adjust WB in the RAW, at least for now. But see my other reply in this thread as well..

9. On Mac using PS CS2, if the Nikon NEF plug-in is over riding ACR, remove the NEF plug-in.

Go/Computer/Mac HD/Applications/Adobe PhotoShop CS2/ Plug-ins/Adobe Photoshop only/File Fromats/Nikon NEF plugin

Throw the NEF plugin in the trash, Empty trash.

If this scares you, make an alias of the plugin and drag it to the desktop, Trash the original, empty the trash and restart Bridge. It should use ACR for NEF files. Then you can trash the Desktop alias of Nikon NEF plugin.

Greg

10. read my post right on this page, same thing happened. I thought I had deleted all NIKON NEF and such files, found one hidden and now it's ok.
    you can check if there is still one left in CS2, under photoshop, about plug-ins.
    god, this cost me a few grey hairs. Chris directed me to your post and I just checked one more time if there was one hidden, sure enough.

everything is good again, I am so happy

11. Christian , your hint about right clicking is priceless--thanks a million:biggrin: !!