ACR mismatch after last CC update

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by Randy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. it appears LR's copy of ACR (I always thought it used the same copy as PS) is not the same as PS's
    btw, CC updater says everything is up to date

anyone get this msg when they click 'edit in' for a nef and select PS CC ? (it just started)
    [​IMG]

2. Yes - I get the same. Word on the street is it's a bug and to just click the "Don't show again" box. I always want to render using Lightroom anyway so that option works fine.

3. Thanks for posting. I updated but have no imported an raws files in a few weeks. Now I won't be surprised (and worried.)

4. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    It's a "confirmed bug" says Adobe :rolleyes:

Open anyway seems the preferable option to me.
    Next time, it might be for real.

5. You might use caution in checking the "don't show again" as it means with future updates (e.g. if you did miss an ACR update) where it might not be a spurious warning you won't get a warning at all. Unfortunately resetting the warning means resetting ALL warnings.

6. I saw it but no big deal. You can't open an image from Lightroom into Photoshop ACR anyway. At least the Photoshop features still work once you open your image. I can think of one previous bug in Lightroom where one of the features I wanted to use just wouldn't work. In that case I had to install a previous version of LR so I could use the feature. Adobe will probably get it fixed pretty quickly.

7. I'm sorry, but that statement is either confusing at best - every time you open a lightroom edited image directly in photoshop (not through an intermediate file) it opens THRU ACR. That's the reason for the compatibility need.

The quick way to tell is whether the file appears in Photoshop labeled as ".nef" or ".tiff" (or I guess conceivably ".jpg"). If it shows as ".nef" it was handed off with the develop settings (basically what would be in the XMP if it were there) to ACR, and ACR opens it and passes it to photoshop. If it shows as a .TIFF in Photoshop when you started with an NEF, then Lightroom rendered it to a TIFF and handed it off, and then (usually) it bypasses ACR (more precisely, it uses the ACR compiled into Lightroom).

8. Ferguson - Sorry for the confusing statement. You're right. Lightroom is ACR so when you open your image from Lightroom it takes it directly into Photoshop and, of course, it should take it with the LR edits. I was thinking about the comparison with Bridge which opens RAW files in Photoshop ACR but after I read your post I realized that the analogy was moot because Bridge is not an editing tool like LR. Since I was seeing my edits in Photoshop I figured it was just a bug but your point is well taken.

9. Well, no, not really. Or I am still not understanding. Just in case it is useful to anyone (else) reading, here's more than you wanted to know about LR/ACR/PS.

There are two ACR's. One is built into LR, so it's always whatever version was there when they compiled it. Let's call that LR-ARC.

Then there's the separately installed ACR that goes with Photoshop and Bridge and can actually be installed by itself I think (certainly upgraded separately). Let's call that PS-ACR.

Ideally those versions should match, OR the PS-ACR should be later than the LR ACR.

In LR when you edit and export and print and publish and build previews, it is LR-ACR that does all the work.

But in a normal LR setup, if you "edit in photoshop" a raw image, the edits that lightroom has done are passed out to the PS-ACR and it does the work of taking it into Photoshop. The NEF is not rendered to an intermediary file until (and unless) you save it from Photoshop (I'm not counting cache).

One way to tell when you have taken this raw->PS-ACR path as opposed to a LR-ACR path is if the file shows up in Photoshop as an NEF, not a TIFF or JPG. That means it got there via PS-ACR, not LR-ACR.

Now if you get the prompt to "Edit with LR adjustments" due to having some incompatibility or other reasons, what happens is an intermediate file, usually a TIFF, is created by LR-ACR, and PS reads that directly without involving PS-ACR. It is this path that allows you to edit in photoshop when there is actually a conflict between versions of ACR (or if ACR isn't there I guess). This can happen, for example, if you have an old PS and ACR, but a new LR. The PS-ACR won't be able to interpret the LR-ACR commands, so LR-ACR does all the work instead.

The point of all this is that when you get a prompt similar to the spurious one of which this posting is about, it is SUPPOSED To indicate you have the sort of mismatch which may break that path of using PS-ACR in a "normal" edit-in-photoshop. It implies the edits from LR (using the LR-ACR) are not necessarily compatible with the version of PS-ACR that is installed, so when you do the edit-in, they may not be interpreted correctly.

So it's a real and relevant error message that can affect what you do with lightroom -- it just isn't correct in this case. But turning it off might hide a subsequent problem down the road (admittedly not likely, but...).

10. Ferguson - Thanks for the clarification. Back in the day before cc I would occasionally have issues with PS-ACR not being able to read the XMP files that I had created in Lighroom. I guess that was due to some problem in the hand off between the ACR applications. I spent some time with the Adobe folks to no avail and just ended up reediting the images that needed it. Knock on wood, but I haven't had that problem with the cc applications. Now with the LR and PS cloud applications, it would be interesting to know how much actual difference there is between LR-ACR and PS-ACR at any given time.

11. +1

12. Well, if Adobe does their job right, the answer is supposed to be "none" as they are supposed to keep them in sync!

Of course, if they did their job correctly this thread wouldn't have existed. :cautious:

13. it's hard to believe they use diff copies of ACR but I can't explain that error msg any other way (but bug). When I used to pass a .tiff (and still do it, never asked me and I assume that was because everything PS needed was in the .tiff that got passed from LR.

14. I don't know if you (or anyone) is interested but there's a fair if historical reason. The original ACR as a front end for Photoshop was, and is, essentially a separate program. You run an image through it, it does its thing, and passes the file off to bridge and to photoshop. It's a once-and-done process of conversion.

When LR came along it needed the same conversion, but it needed to run and rerun it over and over, ever time you moved a slider. Clearly they couldn't do a complete end-to-end conversion, pass file through, with every slider move, so they needed to open ACR up and allow parts of it to be used at a time - move the highlight slider, call that routine to update the image. To put those hooks in, they needed to integrate ACR inside of LR.

But photoshop users who didn't want to use LR at all still needed ACR also. And so they needed to keep a standalone version for it.

Hence two versions.

I think where it got a bit questionable was why they bothered using PS's ACR when handing off from Lightroom to PS; if they let LR render a TIFF each time, they could have avoided that all together, and have almost no version dependencies -- that's the "edit using LR adjustments" option you get sometimes. Then the version of LR and PS's ACR would not matter at all, you could happily edit from LR 2015.10 into CS3.

My GUESS is that in the early days they thought people would use Bridge (not necessarily photoshop) for browsing against lightroom catalogs, and Bridge needed ACR to do its rendering; thus LR wrote sidecar files (which are really mostly pointless for lightroom) that bridge could use with ACR to render Lightroom files, you could even edit there and read them back in LR. The two ACR's work together there. If you are exceptionally careful. But... of course no one actually does that now (I hope).

Or (cynically), maybe they liked creating the version dependency to give people some push toward keeping Photoshop updated, back when it wasn't CC.

15. I spent 37 years on development teams that would never maintain 2 copies of ACR, in this case it sounds like a bunch of legacy code no one wants to rewrite. I bet the whole thing is still in C

16. Or cobol.

Seriously, do you think Adobe has ever said "let's start over and rewrite photoshop from the ground up"? I bet a lot of the code is original.

But to be fair, having two copies is not the same as having two sets of code. It could be all just build scripts that puts it together differently for PS's ACR and what's compiled into Lightroom.

Now that said, by having two instances they have two things they SHOULD test separately for the different use cases. But that whole "test" subject is something Adobe doesn't like to talk about. But they do thank you for being a loyal beta tester... I mean customer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Personally, I never edit RAW images in Lr but only via Bridge-hosted ACR and Ps.
    (The only thing for which I will use Lr is for its Mobile/Cloud capabilities — and for that I import pre-edited images.)

Bridge- and Ps-hosted ACR gets much more frequent updates than does Lr; so it is frequently using a newer version of ACR than is Lr. (Another reason to only edit RAW images via Bridge!).

At this moment both of the newest CC versions: Lr CC 2015.10 and Photoshop CC 2017.1 are using the same version of ACR 9.10 but parity is unlikely to be maintained for long.

18. That may have been true, and I have not gone back to check every release, but I think you will find since the first creative cloud release, they have remained in lock step, indeed I think the 2015.10 and 9.10 are pretty significant in that regard. Adobe committed to faster releases of Lightroom to keep pace once CC came out, and seems to have kept that aspect of their promises.

As someone who used to think Bridge + ACR was a terrific combination, I will suggest you are doing a LOT more work there than you need to, and at least so far, if release frequency is the reason, for now real purpose.

19. With Adobe promoting the cloud versions of their products I wonder if at some point they will eliminate Bridge and just move forward with LR and Photoshop.

20. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Why would they eliminate Bridge?
    "Cloud" is just a term for how the products are licensed, none of them run from a cloud.