Action-Sports Shots - D3s or D4

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by sprdv1, Sep 7, 2017.

1. sprdv1

sprdv1

Oct 22, 2010
    Missouri
    Putting this out there to avoid hijacking other thread again :)

Randy, D3s sufficient and not worth the difference in your opinion?

Moving up from D7000 recently lost and I need to replace it in the next month or so.

Main uses:
    Capturing Family moments, events, grandbabies AND Following our Local HS Football team. Can't seem to break away from day to day activities to do other sports, but I may at some point. I am no expert by any means, even though have done the FB pics for a few years now. Advanced Hobbyist maybe. Of course Kids/Parents are always saying, Great Pics, but those who shoot much can see the suttle differences, out of focus, wrong focal point, etc.

Started w/D90, ended up with D7000 and currently renting a D7200. The action from the D7200 tells me I NEEDED to upgrade anyway. Also need to upgrade my 70-200 to the VII.

Would the D3s cover all my needs? I've seen them for $1,200 to $1,500 and just saw a couple D4s in the $1,800 - $2k Range. Not worth paying a little extra for a good used D4?

Thanks,

Dave~!

2. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    D4 gives you slightly more pixels, faster card (XQD) and buffer but for most people the difference isn't worth it ... D4S is a different beast but is more costly again.

3. sprdv1

sprdv1

Oct 22, 2010
    Missouri
    TU...
    yes sir, I noticed that jump by a grand or so depending on quality.. for the D4s at least. D4s I think is out of my range probably..

4. the d3s is good at ISO 6400,

5. I'd get a D4. More future proof for repairs. My low mileage D3S shutter broke making for a costly fix. I'd rather spend a little extra for a newer body.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  6. sprdv1

sprdv1

Oct 22, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks guys.. Your opinions highly valued.

7. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    If your experience is with DX bodies, why not save some $ and pick up a D500 with battery grip? It will easily match or outperform the D4 and D3s for most AF activity. It isn't as good at high ISO as the D4 or D3s, but it produces excellent images up to ISO 1600 and it has more MP than either full frame body. Nearly double the MP of the D3s and 20% more than the D4. Batteries are MUCH cheaper for the D500, with NiMH in the grip being amazingly cheap to accumulate for extended shooting. The D500 will shoot at 10fps with full AF, which is better than the D3s is capable of, and matches the D4. It supports Group Area AF (like the D4s), which neither D3s or D4 support. IMHO, unless you expect to shoot a lot of wide-angle images and desire a FF body for that, a NEW D500 beats a used D3s or D4 in nearly every way except very high ISO.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Something else to consider. Nikon only supports gear for 7 years after it is no longer sold. I think we are really close to that mark with the D3s. It means Nikon won't service it (they aren't required to keep parts past the 7 years) and if parts aren't available, it can't be fixed. I ran into that wall earlier this year when I needed one of my SB800's fixed. The quick way to check is to go to Nikon's service page and try to fill out a service request. When it asks for the model, if it isn't listed in the drop down, it's not supported.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It appears to still be supported but the D3 has already dropped off so the S versions should fall shortly.

10. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    Age and lack or repair parts is a concern well worth mentioning and considering, but I just had my D3 serviced by Nikon - Los Angeles, to map out a hot pixel and do a general CLA; so they may not have parts, but if they do, or if it only requires adjustments, Nikon will service a body after 7 years. They will also point you to local/regional Authorized repair shops that may have old stock parts.

11. sprdv1

sprdv1

Oct 22, 2010
    Missouri
    Good to know, will review that. My biggest thing is the low light shots at the Frid night football games, I don't use Flash. Will def read up on it.

12. sprdv1

sprdv1

Oct 22, 2010
    Missouri
    Good point as well Thanks.

13. I used to use flash because max preps insisted but I hate flashing football. The D3s was the 1st body that I could shoot at ISO 8k for high school football.

14. The D500 image is far superior to the D3s. But, you really need to decide what it is you want to photograph. A full frame is really not conducive to sports unless you have really long glass or put a teleconverter on it. 3 of the 4 things you mentioned - a full frame would be better.

I operate a photo company that does sports - well one sport - and when I used a D3s I had a TCE-14 on it all the time. I used a 70-200 and 300 on 2 of them. I bought a D4s and after having the same error over 18 months on 4 different bodies, Nikon made me a deal on a D5. Amazing camera, but then I bought a D500. Hmm, I bought a second and those are my go to bodies for what I do. D5 and D500 do not compare, but my clients rave about my D500 photos.

I always smile when I hear "well, the D500 is excellent up to 1600...". Well, that is a subjective comment. I shoot around 1600 to 2000 depending on how dark the rink is, but when the munchkins come out, I slap a TCE-14 on it and double the ISO - so 3200 to 5000. My target market are the munchkins, and the parents always comment how much they love the clarity and the photos. So, take "up to 1600" as one opinion. If people are willing to lay down money for photos about that... works for me.

But then, this is just my opinion.

15. You're correct
    I sold a lot of high ISO d300 pics
    It's some picky shooters who look under the covers or on crazy resolution monitors. Most of the stuff we see goes away on paper anyway. And bird feathers are very different than kids

16. Absolutely. I got nervous when shooting my D300 over 2500. You have to look at what you want. Me, I am happy with my clients money because they like the photos. Pixel peep away...

17. Remember most don't do this for money so all that matters is IQ and this hobby attracts a lot of old people with lots of cash:)
    And that's where the d500 iso1600 limit comes from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Agreed - but it can give a hobbyist without a lot of cash the wrong impression.

BTW - Nikon will no longer service or make parts for the D3s after September 2018. Guess I will send mine in for one last clean and check next summer.

19. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Simply loved the IQ of my D3S's

• Agree Agree x 1