1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Action !

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JPS, Mar 23, 2011.

1. I'm hungry... I'm hungry... I'm hungry...
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

...ohh-ohh... I think I saw some food !
    original.jpg

Got it !!!
    original.jpg

D700 with 300mm f/4 + 1.4x Kenko converter

:biggrin:
    J-P.

2. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Wow Big Catch For Both Of You! Nice Job J-P!

3. Wow is right! That ain't no smelt!:biggrin: Cool shot, hope he didn't get indigestion.:smile:

4. looks like a carp
    nice shootin

5. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Still liking the 300/4 AF-S I see.

6. Thanks Steve, Tim, Randy and Aaron !

Indeed I was the first one to be surprized when I saw the third image ! I didn't even notice the bird had cought a big fish... I only saw it when I downloaded the pics into my computer !

One thing I noted though: there IS A -slight but visible- DIFFERENCE in IQ when using the 1.4x converter... the images are just not as sharp as with the lens "naked" ! ...now, I must check if the difference in sharpness without the converter is worth the gain in size with it !?! Would I get better FINAL quality image by cropping by 1.4x or by using the converter ???

I definititely have to make some tests !

What is YOUR opinion ?

:wink:
    J-P.

7. Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Dec 26, 2010
    Annapolis
    These are very nice. I like the one with the carp. I do wonder if he finally let it go as I don't think the carp will be easily swallowed.

8. Thanks ! I don't know if it finally eat the carp... It just walked a few meters away and found a shelter under some branches, where I could hardly see it... and couldn't possibly get more good enough images !

Anyway, I guess this is a spot where I beleive it must go regularly, so I'll try to go back as often as I can, and "catch " it again !

:smile:
    J-P.

9. jeriann3

jeriann3

Jan 12, 2006
    Huntsville AL
    Holy moly, what a catch! Looks like a huge carp alright - Jeri Ann

10. you mean YOU GOT IT! Awesome captures!

11. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Nice shots. Let's see the eating shots next time!

12. dallas1351

dallas1351

Nov 14, 2009
    salem
    Nice shots, wish I could fish that well.

Dallas

13. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Nice series-how did that GBH get to Switzerland. Seems someone and their new 300 is hooked on the birdies?

14. Thanks Jery Ann, Dianne, Baxter and Dallas !

I guess this was "beginner's luck" !

:wink:
    J-P.

15. Very nice series...! :cool: 

16. Hi John !

There's a LOT of GBH and all here... the problem -here as well as anywhere- is to KNOW their habits... not be afraid of walking A LOT, make a few noise as possible, and have a LOT of PATIENCE !

...I DON'T KNOW anything about wild animals, hait walking and haven't got the slightest patience !!!

BUT..... if I want to be capable of grabing good shot, I guess I will have to LEARN all the above !!!

:smile:
    J-P.

17. you have 3 choices and i will list them in the order i prefer
    1. use a dx body and get the crop from the sensor
    2. use a tc
    3. crop

18. Hi Randy !

I know the choices I have... what I wanted to know was WHICH would deliver the best final IQ ??

Let say you reduce the whole image (as well the DX as the FX one) to the same size, which image will be better ? A 12MP DX image with an apparent 1.5x bigger image or a 12MP FX image SHOT WITH a 1.4x converter or cropped to get the same FOV ?

:confused: 
    J-P.

19. i knew you knew the options and that's why i listed them in that order, it's the order of best IQ IMO

20. LOL...

Do you really beleive that a 12Mb DX camera will give better quality image than an FX one, blown-up to get the same view ?

Well then.... I'll only have to put $$ asside until I can get myself a -second hand- D300 (or better a D300s) !

:Curved:
    J-P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.