Action !

JPS

I'm hungry... I'm hungry... I'm hungry...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

...ohh-ohh... I think I saw some food !

Got it !!!

D700 with 300mm f/4 + 1.4x Kenko converter

:biggrin:
J-P.

JPS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Steve, Tim, Randy and Aaron !

Indeed I was the first one to be surprized when I saw the third image ! I didn't even notice the bird had cought a big fish... I only saw it when I downloaded the pics into my computer !

One thing I noted though: there IS A -slight but visible- DIFFERENCE in IQ when using the 1.4x converter... the images are just not as sharp as with the lens "naked" ! ...now, I must check if the difference in sharpness without the converter is worth the gain in size with it !?! Would I get better FINAL quality image by cropping by 1.4x or by using the converter ???

I definititely have to make some tests !

What is YOUR opinion ?

:wink:
J-P.

These are very nice. I like the one with the carp. I do wonder if he finally let it go as I don't think the carp will be easily swallowed.

JPS

Thanks ! I don't know if it finally eat the carp... It just walked a few meters away and found a shelter under some branches, where I could hardly see it... and couldn't possibly get more good enough images !

Anyway, I guess this is a spot where I beleive it must go regularly, so I'll try to go back as often as I can, and "catch " it again !

:smile:
J-P.

JPS

Nice series-how did that GBH get to Switzerland. Seems someone and their new 300 is hooked on the birdies?
Hi John !

There's a LOT of GBH and all here... the problem -here as well as anywhere- is to KNOW their habits... not be afraid of walking A LOT, make a few noise as possible, and have a LOT of PATIENCE !

...I DON'T KNOW anything about wild animals, hait walking and haven't got the slightest patience !!!

BUT..... if I want to be capable of grabing good shot, I guess I will have to LEARN all the above !!!

:smile:
J-P.

Real Name
Randy
Thanks Steve, Tim, Randy and Aaron !

Indeed I was the first one to be surprized when I saw the third image ! I didn't even notice the bird had cought a big fish... I only saw it when I downloaded the pics into my computer !

One thing I noted though: there IS A -slight but visible- DIFFERENCE in IQ when using the 1.4x converter... the images are just not as sharp as with the lens "naked" ! ...now, I must check if the difference in sharpness without the converter is worth the gain in size with it !?! Would I get better FINAL quality image by cropping by 1.4x or by using the converter ???

I definititely have to make some tests !

What is YOUR opinion ?

:wink:
J-P.
you have 3 choices and i will list them in the order i prefer
1. use a dx body and get the crop from the sensor
2. use a tc
3. crop

JPS

you have 3 choices and i will list them in the order i prefer
1. use a dx body and get the crop from the sensor
2. use a tc
3. crop
Hi Randy !

I know the choices I have... what I wanted to know was WHICH would deliver the best final IQ ??

Let say you reduce the whole image (as well the DX as the FX one) to the same size, which image will be better ? A 12MP DX image with an apparent 1.5x bigger image or a 12MP FX image SHOT WITH a 1.4x converter or cropped to get the same FOV ?

:confused:
J-P.

Real Name
Randy
Hi Randy !

I know the choices I have... what I wanted to know was WHICH would deliver the best final IQ ??

Let say you reduce the whole image (as well the DX as the FX one) to the same size, which image will be better ? A 12MP DX image with an apparent 1.5x bigger image or a 12MP FX image SHOT WITH a 1.4x converter or cropped to get the same FOV ?

:confused:
J-P.
i knew you knew the options and that's why i listed them in that order, it's the order of best IQ IMO

JPS

i knew you knew the options and that's why i listed them in that order, it's the order of best IQ IMO
LOL...

Do you really beleive that a 12Mb DX camera will give better quality image than an FX one, blown-up to get the same view ?

Well then.... I'll only have to put $$ asside until I can get myself a -second hand- D300 (or better a D300s) !

:Curved:
J-P.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom