1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Active D impact on sun/shade scenes

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Harry Lavo, Aug 10, 2008.

1. In case any of you haven't used/fooled around with in-camera "Active D" lighting, I've set up a small four-photo pbase gallery showing and discussing some sun/shadow comparisons I did yesterday. I think it pretty well illustrates what Active D can do.

I know I've been reluctant to use Active D in-camera until now, but I think I am going to leave it set for "normal" for awhile....it can always be turned off in NX (if you use NX) but I think for most high contrast shots it will reduce PP and result in more natural pictures. It seems well-suited to mimic the human eye within a reduced dynamic range.

http://www.pbase.com/hflphotos/gallery/active_d_lighting_comparisons

Just a piece of information...you may well draw different conclusions. Comments always welcome.

2. interesting Harry, I've started to use it sparingly for 'static' shots like a concert I shot a couple of weeks ago, as well as yesterday when my wife wanted me to take pics of signs and buildings for her class.

3. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Good comparison and useful information. I often find myself out taking photos at the wrong time of day (mid day) so I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks Harry.

4. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    thanks for posting this it is very helpful

5. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Active D examples

Thanks Harry,

Very informative post.

Lynn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.