1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Actuations vs used bodies...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Argent, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Ok - well I haven't a clue when it comes to our cameras and how long they are supposed to 'last'

I know everyone talks about how many actuations the camera has listed - but how many is too many?

for example - my D50 has according to Opanda 21134 (as of this afternoons shooting) now there's a D200 I'm looking at getting - but the guy says there's like 25000 actuations or so....

Is that a lot? Should there be things I should look for when I test the camera out

*wiggles his n00b tail* yup still there....be gentle

2. No clue. I'm farily new to DSLR's as well and some folks seem to read the number of shutter clicks like an odomoter on an automoble.

There is a ongoing database in which folks submit thier camera's number of shutter clicks and whether the camera is still working or not. I purchase new but I do look at the database with some interest.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d200.htm

MikeT

3. jebster

jebster

Mar 8, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Jeff
    Hey Paul,
    When I sold my D200 it had over 100,000 shutter clicks on it!
    It worked like new! Never had a problem.
    As far as I know it's still working great!
    I baby my gear, I work it hard but respect it!
    Hope this helps.
    Jeff

4. Wow - that's good to hear Jeff

5. I have read somewhere in the past that the prosumer body shutter was expected to have a minimum of 50k clicks. The pro model shutter was expected to last a minimum 100k actuations. I have tried to find that source and have not been successful.

I have read in some of these forums where these figures were far exceeded.

You might search the Nikon Knowledge Database for an answer to the expected shutter life. I entered a few search arguments but did not get a hit.

Max

6. TVayos

TVayos Guest

My d70s has over 47,500 and still going strong.

7. After my previous post, I checked with the NikonUsa site and looked at the info for the new D700. They are touting the rugged construction and a "durable shutter mechanism tested to 150,000 cycles".

So it appears a design point of 100K shutter cycles on previous models is not unrealistic.

Max

8. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    D200's are rated for 100,000 actuations. D80 and below I believe are rated for 50,000 actuations. This doesn't mean the camera will stop working after it hits 100K actuations...

9. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    There are a few sites with info on shutter counts. Try Google. Electronic things - and DSLR's are just that - fail following a 'bathtub' curve. Most failures happen right away or far out into the product life towards the end of the expected life - things are generally fine inbetween.

However the TYPE of use will come into play. A sports photog who's shooting multiple clicks all the time is putting their equipment through paces that are harder on equipment than a casual part-timer shooting one shot at a time...... BUT they may take better care of their equipment than the part-timer.

I KNOW that I'll be putting equipment through paces in backcountry hiking so I prefer to buy NEW if something is big $. I WANT the long term warranty. If you are easy on equipment and willing to pay for any needed repairs that may come up, then used equipment can be worthwhile. Certain things have a rep for having more problems than others - certain AF-S lenses come to mind as needing motor replacements..... pull-push lenses seem to wear more than others. Usually good to have a feel for the type of equipment you're interested in and what the general history is. Early D300's had some issues with solderless connections on the lens mounting ring.

Some things are nearly impossible to screw up - like TC's. If the glass is good there's little to go wrong, few moving parts and only pass-through electronics.

My old D70 is up above 50,000 clkicks - never had a problem. My son's - which got killed at 15,000 clicks and wasn't worth repairing after a drop - had been serviced twice for the GBLOD. My first D200 was a lemon from the beginning and was swapped back within two weeks. No issues with the replacement. No problems with a D40 bought new - or a D50 bought used.

Reality is that there's more to 'good/bad' than click counts - or even appearance. Some truly UGLY things are that way because they're workhorses and will survive ANYTHING while others remain mint because they're so glitchy they rarely leave the closet.

10. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    I've just purchased a D40 as you all may know, and i have the same concern.

If the projected life span of my D40 is accurate, I guess I'm going to have a failed shutter on my hands soon lol. I think I'm up to 600 clicks in the 2 days (really less than 1 and a half days) I've had it. I can't seem to stop taking pictures with it. Any thoughts?

11. Hi,

my camera dealer offered a D200 to me with 972,000 actuations ... and he has to sell it with a one year warranty over here ...

My first (used) D2H has 122.000 shots are ran like hell.

My current D300 - bought on November 30th 2007 - has now nearly 30,000 clicks on it.

If a camera is treated properly (not dropped, not too often too wet ...), I don't think the number of actuations is a big issue ...

Regards,

Mattes

12. Thanks for all the input - I should be taking the D200 in question for a test drive tonight to see if I even like the camera itself...and with my D50 going to its new owner today I'll be hunting for a replacement....

13. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    Good Deal!

Let us know how you like the camera. I'm kinda curious about the D200 as well, i thought about (in due time after mastering the D40 i just bought) i'd upgrade to a D80, however people tell me that the D200 can be had for not much more and the price is projected to drop again (with it becoming discontinued and all) and it's twice the camera than the D80.

Let us know! Good Luck and God Speed! :biggrin:

14. screwdriver

screwdriver

Feb 29, 2008
    FLorida
    a new D80 body is $725
    a new D200 body is $999

15. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    yeah, unreal how a nice camera like the D200 is $999 brand new.

16. Shot the D200 last night - wasn't that impressed - maybe it was a bad copy - maybe the settings were all wrong

I liked the controls were all handy and easy to use and with the battery grip it balanced out my 300 F/4 really nicely - but the shots I got from it wern't what I had hoped for (I think my D50 took better shots) had a focus lock problem with my 300 F4 - kept 'seeking' a lock on a bird in a tree resulting in lots of OOF shots :( 

Wonder if a D300 would be better - or if this D200 just had issues....

17. D200/ D300 exprience

I had a pair of D200s and used them for work at the newspaper and PJ weddings. One had 30K in a year, the other 20K, and worked like new. In fact, it's my observation DSLRS get better the longer you use them. The colors seem to improve. That may be a bunch of bunk, or perhaps I just get better at using them or my eyes adjust to their way of interpreting color, but every Nikon DSLR I've owned has been that way, particularly the D200 and D2H.

A shutter job is not all that expensive, I'm guessing $300 or so, about what a DSLR is worth by the time it needs one. Just go out and use the camera and don't worry about wearing it out. Chances are it will depreciate out before wearing out. They are made to be disposable -- a new model comes out every 6 to 9 months.

Regarding your trial run with the D200, the D300 focusing is much improved. Its noise is better. But I feel its colors are worse. Even loading the D2X color modes, the D300's colors just don't match the D200's, to my eye. Especially skin tones. I think the D300 has better colors for nature, however.

After using a D300 for eight months and putting 10K on one body, I still struggle with blooming highlights on skin. There is no smooth gradation from midtone to highlight; it just jumps to this ugly yellow bloom. I've dialed back contrast as far as it will go and cranked it down in RAW Lightroom processing, but I am still getting this disgusting look in some portraits. If it were not for needing the better focusing and marginally better low light performance of the D300, I would have stuck with the D200, which rarely had this issue. My experience with the D300 in this regard keeps me from jumping on the D700 bandwagon right now. I want to see a lot of images from it and the price become more realistic before pulling the triger. Fortunately, there are lots of D200 and D300 images online you can study and compare to aid your decision.

18. Thanks for the input Carl :) 

19. To be honest I'd be wary of cameras with few shutter clicks. They haven't really proven their durability in the field. Cameras such as the D300 which had shutter issues early in the production run, could have problems down the road. I'd say if a camera has several thousand shutter clicks, then things look good in terms of durability. :smile:

20. Panda51

Panda51

Jun 26, 2008
    Paris
    Hi Paul,

I got a used D200 with 9000 actuations 2 or 3 weeks ago. I started photography 10 months ago with a D40 then went on a used D100.
    My first try with the D200 was also kind of disapointing regarding the focus. I then learned how to use it better from a handling point of view and from a settings point of view. Most of my pictures are well focused now. That's a pretty heavy body compared to the D40, D100 or D50 you used. especially if you used a 300mm. I now think it's better that the one of the D100.
    I now love that camera and I am sure I will be able to improve a lot with it.
    I also had the Tom Hogans D200 user guide which helped a lot understanding that camera and have the settings that suit best how I use the camera.

Hope you're not regretting you sold your D50:wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.