Acura Rsx

hows this?

rsx.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like the composition, however, the harsh reflection from the light directly above the car is really distracting. And it may be b/c of scaling but the tail lights dont look in focus. Were you using a tripod and cable release?

Overall its good, tho. Thanks for sharing.

The first thing I notice is that your white balance is way off. That is an easy fix if you shot in raw. Also as mentioned the photo is not in focus or has camera shake. I'm guessing this was on a tripod due to the 3 second exposure (in the exif) but you possibly got a slight amount of camera shake when you pressed the shutter. Maybe try the 2 second timer delay on the shutter next time. It also appears to be a bit noisy. You shot at ISO400...if you are using a tripod, then set the iso to the base iso to prevent any noise. Also, and underexposure that's corrected in post can cause some grain/noise issues. There's really no sense in being in full manual in this mode (can if you want, but watch that light meter). I'd try it in aperture priority with an aperture of about f/8-f/16.

so i guess i should start using the timer for these shots with long exposures.
with the white balance, how could i have fixed it? i was working with very strong orange light.

NateS' advice should give you a huge improvement if you try to shoot this again. There is no question you should use the timer, you want to separate the push on the shutter from the actual exposure to let the vibration die down, it is also the reason Keith suggested a cable release. Your aperture of f18 will not give you maximum sharpness, and you really do not require it for depth of field in this shot. Your lens should be sharpest between f8 and f11 so start in that range and move higher if you need more depth of field.

It looks like you have tinkered with the white balance. You have a choice of retaining the orange light from the sodium vapor lamps or setting a WB that will "correct" the color. A sodium vapor lamp is 2650 Kelvin, a high pressure sodium lamp will be different. Use auto WB, shoot RAW and fix it later. Be aware that sodium lights cycle, that is, the light is not continuos. This means you need use shutter speeds that capture whole cycles. There are plenty of discussions of this, so it is easy to Google and find an explanation of what it means.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom