Share ADAPTED lenses images (non AF). Share yours

On the Z7 I used this tiny Voigtlander VM Color-Skopar 21mm f3.5 to photograph ash trees in the Salmon River Canyon, Idaho. It was a smoky day last fall and that is why the background is bluish and a little blurry.

View attachment 1692899

View attachment 1692900

View attachment 1692901

View attachment 1692902
the smoke helped to have the light a bit more diffused to soften the shadows while the blue hue gives nice contrast to the fall foliage. And that lens: very sharp (from what I can see on Smugmug)

Real Name
Dan
On the same weekend as the above fall colors with the Voigtlander 21mm I took these images with a Zeiss ZM Biogon T* 25mm f2.8 on the Z7. Both of these lenses are real gems. But, since they were designed for Leica M mount there is a lot of field curvature at the rear of the lens that doesn't perform well with a lot of modern digital sensors. I bought both lenses before I had the Nikon and used them on Fuji, but I got pretty lousy results at the edges and on distant parts of landscapes around the horizon. They work better on the Z7, but to get the best of edge to edge sharpness I have to shoot at f11 or maybe at f8 in a pinch. It is also best to focus slightly towards the edges and not in the direct center. Even then, I sometimes can't get sharp results at far distances, so medium distance shots work best.

DSC_0224-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_0228-X3.jpg

On the same weekend as the above fall colors with the Voigtlander 21mm I took these images with a Zeiss ZM Biogon T* 25mm f2.8 on the Z7. Both of these lenses are real gems. But, since they were designed for Leica M mount there is a lot of field curvature at the rear of the lens that doesn't perform well with a lot of modern digital sensors. I bought both lenses before I had the Nikon and used them on Fuji, but I got pretty lousy results at the edges and on distant parts of landscapes around the horizon. They work better on the Z7, but to get the best of edge to edge sharpness I have to shoot at f11 or maybe at f8 in a pinch. It is also best to focus slightly towards the edges and not in the direct center. Even then, I sometimes can't get sharp results at far distances, so medium distance shots work best.

View attachment 1693017

View attachment 1693018
Are you saying that field curvature is related to the different sensor?
Or that a APS-C sensor not seeing the edges of the image circle doesn't then show them in the photograph?
If the lens was designed for 35mm film wouldn't the same thing would occur there?

Real Name
Dan
This is what I am remembering from reading on the subject a year ago, and I probably won't recreate the bits and pieces exactly.

On Leica M mount lenses the rear element is placed closer to the focal plane than on SLR lenses. Because of this there is some curvature to the field projected onto the film plane. The curvature is more pronounced on wide angle lenses. 50mm and above don't produce much curvature, and my Konica M Hexanon 50mm and 90mm work fine on my Fuji.

This curvature wasn't a problem for film rangefinders, or for digital Leicas as their sensor stack is pretty thin. But, as sensor stacks get thicker it is more difficult to get all the image in focus on the sensor. Apparently the Fuji stack was too thick for the 25mm and 21mm. I didn't know about this issue until after I had bought these two lenses. I really wanted a modern mirrorless camera that would handle these lenses well. I read that Sony A7 series cameras behave the worst with Leica M mount wide angles. There were a few people who had tried them on Z cameras and reported that the Z sensor stack worked much better for these lenses. That is what got me into the Z7.

For about 6 months my Z kit was using the Voigtlander 21mm, Zeiss 25mm, Konica M 50mm f2, and Konica M 90mm f2.8.

Then I bought a Z 14-24 and loved it. I have since added the Z 24-70 f4, Z 70-200 f2.8, and Z 105mm macro. Unfortunately I don't use what I have come to affectionately call my "shrimpy lens collection" much now. But reviewing these images this weekend has convinced me that I need to make time for these delightful, diminutive lenses even if I spend most of my time with my Z lenses.

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
This is what I am remembering from reading on the subject a year ago, and I probably won't recreate the bits and pieces exactly.

On Leica M mount lenses the rear element is placed closer to the focal plane than on SLR lenses. Because of this there is some curvature to the field projected onto the film plane. The curvature is more pronounced on wide angle lenses. 50mm and above don't produce much curvature, and my Konica M Hexanon 50mm and 90mm work fine on my Fuji.

This curvature wasn't a problem for film rangefinders, or for digital Leicas as their sensor stack is pretty thin. But, as sensor stacks get thicker it is more difficult to get all the image in focus on the sensor. Apparently the Fuji stack was too thick for the 25mm and 21mm. I didn't know about this issue until after I had bought these two lenses. I really wanted a modern mirrorless camera that would handle these lenses well. I read that Sony A7 series cameras behave the worst with Leica M mount wide angles. There were a few people who had tried them on Z camera and reported that the Z sensor stack worked much better for these lenses. That is what got me into the Z7.

For about 6 months my Z kit was using the Voigtlander 21mm, Zeiss 25mm, Konica M 50mm f2, and Konica M 90mm f2.8.

Then I bought a Z 14-24 and loved it. I have since added the Z 24-70 f4, Z 70-200 f2.8, and Z 105mm macro. Unfortunately I don't use what I have come to affectionately call my "shrimpy lens collection" much now. But reviewing these images this weekend has convinced me that I need to make time for these delightful, diminutive lenses even if I spend most of my time with my Z lenses.
ah, so it's the rendering on the sensor that has a thinner stack that matters
The way I read it it was that the field curvature of the lens would change on different sensor/film 🤪
The angle of incidence of the projected image of rangefinder lenses (closer flange distance) is then worse on a ticker sensor stack than on a thin one (like the Z)

Real Name
Dan
ah, so it's the rendering on the sensor that has a thinner stack that matters
The way I read it it was that the field curvature of the lens would change on different sensor/film 🤪
The angle of incidence of the projected image of rangefinder lenses (closer flange distance) is then worse on a ticker sensor stack than on a thin one (like the Z)
Yes, that sounds right.

Real Name
Dan
Jupiter-11 13,5cm f4 (1957 Contax/Kiev)
Wide open

View attachment 1693449 lilly pond_2 by gnarlydog, on Flickr
I really like this one. Not sure how to identify which elements make this stand out for me, but the specular highlights are for sure one. There's almost a glassy look to this image that alters my perception and I can easily imagine this being a glass art installation rather than an organic/natural one. It's a neat effect that I can lose myself in.

I really like this one. Not sure how to identify which elements make this stand out for me, but the specular highlights are for sure one. There's almost a glassy look to this image that alters my perception and I can easily imagine this being a glass art installation rather than an organic/natural one. It's a neat effect that I can lose myself in.
now that you mention it: it does look a bit more man-made than natural
I think the back lighting does that, making semi-transparent objects glow

That diminutive old piece of Russian glass keeps on surprising me every time I use it: very sharp and yet it has that peculiar bokeh of a simple optical design

The strangest thing in my driveway today: a couple of Stone Curlews 😍
I have seen in parks but certainly not on a sidewalk of a busy street. I have been hearing their eerie call at night, like the shriek of a (stereotypical Hollywood) ghost and today I spotted them.
Approaching them slowly I managed to snap a closer image before I spooked them and they scurried away

Adapter Samyang AE 85mm f1.4

51694736108_e5ec5028e4_h.jpg
stone curlew by gnarlydog, on Flickr

An image concept that hatched a few years ago and finally I managed to capture it when all the stars aligned: location and motorcycle the way I hoped for.
I wanted to create the passion that some motorcycles owners have for modifying their rides.

Nikon Z5 and refitted Yashinon-DX 40mm f1.7 (from fixed rangefinder Yashica Electro)

51697181333_1c426c77b5_h.jpg
Scoot and Putt by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Nice separation between the flower and the background. I enjoy the out of focus area quite a bit in this one. Definitely some character here.
thank you.
The refitted Yashinon-DX 40/1.7 is becoming one of my go-to lenses: wide enough for most scenes unless I seek a much narrower view and, now that is refitted onto a focusing helicoid, good enough for interesting close-up with an out-of-the-ordinary bokeh.
Stopped down to f2.8 and the lens is very sharp too

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom