Adapter for Leica M to Nikon Z mount

Real Name
Andy
Does anyone have experience with adapting M-mount glass to Z bodies? I see there are several options available (Kipon, Fotasy, Shoten, 7Artisans). Looking for recommendations on why any of these are better than the others, particularly since some can be had for about US$14.

Real Name
Ian
I don't have any personal experience, but I am waiting on Voigtlander's adapter, as I plan on picking up a 35/1.7 or 50/1.5 from their M-mount collection.

The Kipon ones always seem to get good reviews, but I'm not certain about the other ones you list. Novoflex is very good as well, but pricey.

Does anyone have experience with adapting M-mount glass to Z bodies? I see there are several options available (Kipon, Fotasy, Shoten, 7Artisans). Looking for recommendations on why any of these are better than the others, particularly since some can be had for about US$14.
If it's just the standard adapter, they should be all very similar. Saying that, Voigtlander seem to make the best machined lens adapters which tend to have precise focus at infinity. If you're more concerned about price, Fotasy adapters are well built and cheap.

Also, I'd look into other M-mount adapters that allow close focus, since M-mount lenses have weak close-focusing abilities.

This one on Ebay allows close-focus:
GABALE LM-NZ Leica M ZM VM to Nikon Z camera Z6 Z7 Close Focus Adapter LM-NZ US | eBay

Here's a Novoflex close-focus adapter, but it's expensive:
NovoflexLeica M Lens to Nikon Z-Mount Camera Adapter

I'd also wait until June since the Techart TZE-01 Sony E to Nikon Z adapter is supposed to be released. That will allow auto focus with M lenses using the Techart Pro AF M mount adapter for Sony.

I purchased a Kipon version from B&H. It's nicely made and there is no wiggle at either the camera or lens side, and seems preliminarily will aligned. I can focus just past infinity. I have a Voigtlander adapter for M-mount to Sony E-mount as well from my Sony days. It's better in two ways. The lens mounting plate is more smoothly polished and attaching the lens is smoother, feels like a native camera mount. Secondly, it has a helicoid that allows for closer focusing similar to what you'd get with an SLR mount lens. Rangefinder lenses have pretty long MFD's.

Real Name
Ian
I purchased a Kipon version from B&H. It's nicely made and there is no wiggle at either the camera or lens side, and seems preliminarily will aligned. I can focus just past infinity. I have a Voigtlander adapter for M-mount to Sony E-mount as well from my Sony days. It's better in two ways. The lens mounting plate is more smoothly polished and attaching the lens is smoother, feels like a native camera mount. Secondly, it has a helicoid that allows for closer focusing similar to what you'd get with an SLR mount lens. Rangefinder lenses have pretty long MFD's.
Matt,

So the close-focus adapter still allows you maintain infinity focus, but then it has a helicoid which can be rotated and basically acts as an extension tube to reduce the MFD?

I talked about my experience with a macro-adapter for the Voigtlander 10mm on the Z7 body - on my Nov.3, 2018 post.

Real Name
Andy
Thanks to all for the responses. I had not thought of the possibility of improving close focusing capability. I once owned a Summicron 40mm f/2 and now think it (or the Minolta Rokkor version) would be a great carry-everywhere solution for the Z body. I don't recall it being particularly limited in close focusing capability but I do recall that it was a fantastic little lens.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
my old 35mm 1.4 Voigtlander, previously used on A Nex7.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom