1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Add on RAM?

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by jprphotography, Aug 13, 2009.

1. I was wondering if you can add RAM to Macbook Pro laptops?

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
  3. James,

Which model are you referring to? Do you already have the MBP or are you considering a CTO from Apple? Most will advise NOT buying RAM from Apple as they charge a large premium for something you can do yourself.

You can add RAM to MBPs, but sometimes it can be cost prohibitive. My MBP came with 4 GB and to max it at 6 GB, it would cost over $300 to replace a 2 GB chip for a 4 GB chip. It isn't worth it to ME.

OWC is a great place to buy RAM.

Mike

4. I'm considering buying a used 07 model that has 2GB of RAM and i would like at least 4GB

5. The older MacBook Pro models cannot utilize 4 or more GB RAM. For instance, my early 2007 17" MBP can use just 3 GB and my earlier MBP (2006) could only use 2 GB. It's a good idea to check the exact specs on the machine before doing anything with attempting to update the RAM. The 17" MBPs that came out later in 2007 are able to utilize 4 GB. It's important to be sure whether or not you can upgrade the RAM in any used Mac if that's going to be significant to you.

6. James,

It seems like the 2007 models can use 4 GB of RAM.

Be aware that the 2007 MBP used the nvidia 8600 chip which has had a high rate of defect.

Mike

7. Clarification:

My 17" MBP is the Core Duo 2 2.33 GHz with the ATI Radeon X1600; it was replaced by the 17" MBP Core Duo 2 2.4 GHz, which has the Nvidia graphics card. My model can only accept 3 GB RAM, whereas the 2.4 GHz one can accept 4 GB RAM.

So check to see which model is being offered and check the specs before buying!

8. thx everyone :) 

9. FWIW -- I have a "new" MacBook Pro 13" and just replaced the 2GB that came with it with 2x2GB (4GB total) generic memory from Fry's. Works PERFECTLY!!

Only "tough" part was keeping track of the screws that you take out to remove the bottom. They are TINY!!

As I recall, total cost was $80 or so.

Cheers!!

Ken

10. Pamani

Pamani

Jan 12, 2009
    Sacramento/Newark
    i just popped in 4gb's of ram in mt MBP a few days ago... running so smooth, especially when im running VMware Fusion

11. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    The original menory went out on my 13" travel MacBook , got 3 beeps on start up and it would not boot.

OTC or other world computing sent me 4 gb from the original 1 gb for $69. I could have just replaced the original 1 for $20.

Anyway, have the model and serial and they have a chart to tell you how much you can use. I could have gone to six.

The 13" runs CS3 and NX 2 very well. Great for travel, but not for home where I use a 24 iMac.

12. McGunnigle

McGunnigle

Jul 13, 2009
    northwest
    I added a new 500 gb 7200 rpm hard drive into my Macbook pro 13 inch. I also have added 4gb of ram into it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.