Adding an embossed signature

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Flew, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Now available in Tutiki:
    [tutiki]Embossed Copyright[/tutiki]​

Several of our members have expressed an interest in the signature action that I have used in my posted images, so I agreed to share it. In order for this action to be useful though, each person has to customize the actual text of the signature. This meant that I actually had to come up with a clear description of the process of creating the sig action.

That took me a little longer, but here is my first try. Please let me know if this is or is not clear, and what if anything I need to add or clarify.

Some of you may be very familiar with PS CS actions, and some may have never created one. To make this process easier to follow for those that have not previously created an action, I have split the sig creation process into two sections. The first is the creation of the sig. The second is the creation of an action. To get a useful sig action, you will have to combine the two processes. I hope that this makes sense.

In order to follow this process, you should open a test image in PS CS, and process it to the size that you typically post (mine are usually 900 pixels wide and 600 or so pixels high although the height varies from shot to shot).

Creating the sig:

The signature will be created on a new text layer. Before creating that layer, I set the foreground color to white. Click the color picker tool button in the tools applet as shown here, and set the foreground color to 255, 255, 255.

[​IMG]

This will bring up the Color Picker. Be sure to set the foreground color RGB values to 255, 255, 255 as shown here:

[​IMG]

You are now ready to add the sig to your image. Click the text tool button on the tools applet as shown here:

[​IMG]

You now need to select the font and font size for your sig. The font selected will depend on the size of your finished image. In my case, this is 14 px, and I use the Saginaw font (which I found on the web). This shows the text toolbar settings that I use:

[​IMG]

Note that the text justification is set to right-justification. Use this for signatures that will be placed at the top- or bottom-right of your images.

You are now ready to actually place the sig onto your image. With the text tool selected, click near the bottom-right of your image:

[​IMG]

I know that this is a little hard to visualize, but you will see how this works when you do it your self.

You are now ready to type the sig text. This shows my demo sig:

[​IMG]

You will note that there is now a new layer in your PS CS project. It should look like this (except that it will have your sig, not mine):

[​IMG]

Now to add the embossing. Right-click the little button that looks like an 'f':

[​IMG]

Select the Bevel and emboss... option. The following applet will be presented (note that I have already changed the settings. You will see different values when the form is first presented).

[​IMG]

Once you have changed the setting to those show above, click the OK button. This sig will now look like this:

[​IMG]

To finish the sig, adjust the Opacity and Fill settings on the layer applet as shown here:

[​IMG]

And finally, click the layers menu at the top of PS CS, and then click the Flatten Image option. The sig should be done, and should look like this:

[​IMG]

Note that you can play with the opacity and fill numbers to get slightly different looks to your sig, but I like these settings.

Now all you have to do is to automate this into an action. To do this, open another test image and set it to the size that you normally post, and click the 'Create new action' icon at the bottom of the Actions applet as shown here:

[​IMG]

This will present the New Action dialog as shown here:

[​IMG]

Select a Set (I previously had created a new set named FLW_Actions), and type in a Name for the new action (here I typed in 'FLW_Sig_Demo'), and click the Record button.

At this point, you should go through all of the steps outlined above to create an action to automatically place your sig on your images. When you are done, click the 'Stop playing/recording button as shown here:

[​IMG]

The cool thing is that if you mess up, you can just delete the action and start over, as many times as you need to in order to get it just like you want it. To add your sig to an image, now all you have to do is to run your new action, and the embossed sig will be added automatically. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

2. Nice demo, Frank! Now, where did you get your frame action? Got a link for that?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Virginia,

I also wrote an action for that which IMNSHO, is pretty cool. It lets you draw a mat and a frame, each with selectable size. I've got to go out of town on a business trip tomorrow, but when I get back, I'll post how-to on those too. :smile:

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Frank, I just printed this thread and can't wait to sprout a few new gray hairs trying to do what you specified in your directions. I will look forward to the directions on how to add a mat and frame. Thanks for taking the time to help us!

5. Thanks Frank for the info. I can follow these instuctions but if I have a question, I will ask. They look fairly easy.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Holy Cow...it's so easy, even Italians can do it!!!!!

I can't wait to learn how to add a matte and frame....

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well done Frank!! Guess the instructions were OK after all. I like your font. :smile:

Did you make the action too?

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Frank...the instructions were great...but I hate the font!!! I am trying to learn how to download some from the net and get them into Windows...so far I am 0 for 1 attempt. :mad:

9. Please make this a "sticky" pretty please. My gray matter says "not now"
    Dave

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry...I didn't see where you asked if I made an action...the answer is yes, and it actually worked!!!!!!:biggrin:

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank, That's great!! You'll find a good font. Just keep digging. :smile:

Dave, I'll make it a sticky right now. :wink:

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Eng45,
    To install fonts you go to control panel, fonts, file, install new fonts.

Now If I were you I would put them in a folder on you desktop so you know where the devil to go look for the folder to install from. lol (or wherever you like)

I am using win 2k and thats how it is done. I would guess you are using XP and prob pretty much the same.

You can also move fonts out of there and store somewhere else. Takes along time for programs to load fonts. Especially if you don't use , like, or need come of them.

Or you could use a font manager. Adobe has one free. Can search thier web for it. ATM it is called..i Think

However, you have prob already figured this out :>)))))))

You sig looks good.

Flew did a great job on the tutorial.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    PS...Google search for free fonts will give you thousands you don't need LOLOL

True Type Fonts are best.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool Diane. Interesting info. The reason that I did mine this way was that I wanted the sig to take on the color of the photo itself, and I wanted it as an action because I have it as part of a set of actions that semi-automate my PP steps. I will definitely look into this technique though.

Thanks!!

15. Great info....thanks !! :smile:

16. I'm certainly going to print out your method and add it to my "How To" file :smile: In the method I linked you to, you can make the color of the signature whatever you like at the time you insert it in the photo.

17. Just found this thread...Thank you very much for the tutorial....this was actually my first action.!

[​IMG]

Bohdan Bob Tkaczyk

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Cool Bob. There's so much to PS CS that you could spend a lifetime learning it all. I'm still very much a noob. :rolleyes:

19. Frank, I just blatantly copied your methods for an embossed signature and made an action out of it. So simple...

I've been testing with the custom frame action and seem to have botched it up pretty good, sometimes the images are not exactly 900x598 when cropped and the frame action I created doesn't seem to like it...

Thank you for the tip on the embossed sig, I dig it.