1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Adding in a person ... ??

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Minuteman3, Jul 31, 2008.

1. My next door neighbor recently lost their 23-yr old daughter Patricia to an aneurysm. Dealing with her very sudden death has been difficult for them, to say the least.

One thing they mentioned today was they had no family photos with the four members of the family (they have another daughter as well.) They said they have quite a few nice images of the Patricia, and were wondering if it would be possible for me to take a picture of the remaining three and then PS in the daughter they lost.

I do not use PS and don't know how to do this ... but I am assuming it can be done. I'm assuming that I should evaluate the images they have and then put together a setting that uses similar lighting and so on. I'll then need to find someone who has the necessary skills to PS in Patricia.

Am I on the right track? Can this be done? What should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Yes it can be done...if you want to send me the files I will send you my email address.

3. I can do the same thing. and yes you can match colors and all that. i can take a shot at it as well if you would like. just let me know and i will PM you or something to get the files. we are all willing to help :) 

i'm sorry for their loss.

4. Thank you both very much. This was really tough for them as she was literally "healthy as an ox" one day, and then died in her sleep overnight. It's been about 5 months now, but we can tell its still very hard on the family. I'll advise ASAP when we have some images to work with.

Cheers!!

Ken

5. alright and ya, my friend lost his dad the same way. he and his mom went to the store while his dad took a nap. they came home to wake him up for work... and he didn't wake up... Very sad.

6. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Ken,
    Sorry for their loss.
    Seneca or scott would one of you be willing to do a tutorial on this? I would be interested in learning, as I am sure others would too.

7. speed_jaycer

speed_jaycer Guest

i have done this for my mother and sister...with my sister's daughter. They wanted a picture of all three of them in thier "chef's whites" (my mom and sister own a catering company) It was my first attempt but i think it still came out decent...but yes matching the picture lighting, style, angle are all extremly important. and can make or break the chop.

this was my first attempt
    [​IMG]

at the time I didn't know how to get the edges of the hair to look natural and not be straight lines (since I obviously had to cut her out of the original picture) and i should have feathered out the drop shadow better and adjust the color tone on her chefs whites....if I had it to do over again, i would change how I did a lot of things.

Anyway it can be done and as long as you pay attention to the small details it should come out pretty well. Mine above is an obvious transplant, but it gives you some examples of items to pay attention to.

8. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Extracting is the hard part, after that, it's all a matter of scaling and blending.

I just saw some good videos over at Dr. Brown's site on extracting "monsters".:
    http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Scroll down to: Advanced CS3 Masking with Monsters! (The Series)

9. Johnny Yuma

Johnny Yuma

Jun 27, 2007
    SE MI
    Or scroll waaaaay down to the bottom. He has a great tutorial on using channels. Its old but its must know stuff.

10. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    I actually have one that would have been easier doing it the channels way but I wanted to do the extract tool one. I really didn't know what the extracting tool did. every time I used it, I had less than stellar results. But know I'm getting used to it.:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.