Adjust Highlights

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by gbenic, Nov 6, 2005.

1. In another thread, nfoto gave this excellent advice to brighten up an image:

I use this method often and it works well. Is there a similar method to tame "hot" highlights?

Thanks.

2. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Greg. I'm not sure what you mean by hot highlights, but if it's like flash glare on the skin, here is one way to try.

Take the lasso tool, set the feather to 3 pxls and lasso the glares on the skin (click on the 'add' icon in the options bar at top - second icon from the left - which allows you to add other areas). With the selections complete, go Image>adjust>selective color and check 'absolute' at the bottom.

Choose "whites" in the dropdown (default is 'reds'); control H to turn off the marching ants so you can see the change easier, and move the cyan slider to around -20 and the black slider to around +20 - you might add just a little yellow - +1 or 2. Ok, deselect.

Another way would be to use the clone tool or healing or even patch tool by choosing adjacent skin and cloning/painting in the glares.

This method was suggested by Kent Christiansen in dpreview retouching forum. I have used it several times successfully.

3. Thanks Gary. I will give it a shot. The issue is that I use PSP9 and need to find the comparable commands, but I have figured out most of them.

Yes, I did mean flash spots, but I also meant taming over-exposed areas as well. I know that I can correct that in the raw file, but I am trying to help out my wife's and daughter's images which are jpg.

Thanks again.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hiya Greg, Kelby's PS for DP book has several step-by-step techniques for doing just what you need.