Adobe ACR & D200 Update

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by petert053, Dec 20, 2005.

1. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, all the NC users out there are happy that Nikon updated their software before the camera's release. But, my flow uses the Adobe Camera Raw interface, and I'm quite comfortable with it... how long does it take Adobe to catch up with the major camera manufacturer's new RAW updates? I was taxing my brain-box to remember what the time was between the D2x hitting the streets and ACR catching up. Anyone know/remember?

So, in the meantime, I've got a try-out copy of NC up and running, but I'm unfamiliar with the interface. Assuming that it takes Adobe some time, I guess I'll be left with creating TIFF's and importing to PS :frown:

...that, or start shooting JPG's :Sad: I'm not sure what to think here. I try not to shoot JPGs. I was never really happy with them in my D70, but maybe the D200 will surprise me. The posted images seem pretty damn good...

2. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Let's hope it's in ACR 3.3 soon

If memory serves me right, ACR was updated three times in 2005 and I've read that they shoot for an update every 3-4 months. In 2005, there was an update April and September with a beta of 3.3 released in November. There's an Adobe forum for the 3.3 beta here and there's a thread about D200 support here that doesn't really conclude anything yet. There's speculation about whether D200 support will make it into 3.3 before it's released or whether folks will have to wait until 3.4 next spring sometime.

3. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I quickly browsed the Adobe forums and see what you mean. It's just that I recall this article posted on DPR saying that Nikon and Adobe had become "friends" again. Of course, that's probably not saying much, but I would have hoped that it meant that Nikon was going to be a little more "up front" with their NEF encoding and the software vendors, in particular Adobe. Of course, they are "competitors" in the image processing software space. I don't even know if the new D200 NEF is "encrypted" like the D2x version... right?

4. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Waiting for ACR 3.3 final to see if D200 support is in

Since Nikon is now supplying Adobe with code to read the encrypted white balance in their RAW files, presumably what needs to happen for D200 support is that Nikon needs to give Adobe an updated version of this code that works with the D200 and Adobe needs to integrate it into ACR and test it. Nikon is obviously done with the core D200 code since they've already released it in an updated Nikon Capture. But, when exactly they supply this code to Adobe or how long Adobe's integration and testing cycle is, we have no idea. If both Nikon and Adobe were timely, it seems possible that the currently 3.3 beta could get D200 support, but if either isn't super quick about it, then 3.3 might be released before the D200 support is done which would mean it would be 3-4 months longer before D200 support showed up.

While I may end up buying a D200, I'm going to wait until ACR supports it because I shoot exclusively RAW and only use ACR for my RAW workflow and am not interested in shooting JPEG or using a different RAW converter. So, I'll wait. It sucks that there's so much proprietrary crud involved in shooting RAW.

5. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    ...Hell, I'd be happy if Nikon adopted the DNG format, but I don't see that happening anytime soon either! And, I agree with you regarding being primarily a RAW shooter. I've got NC installed now, but frankly don't like it much at all. I find it un-intuitive, not to mention, slow. But, if it's what I got, then that's what I'm going to have to use... Like I said before, it's that or shoot JPG... but, some of the images I've seen look pretty good...

I admit it - I'm a closet control freak - RAW shooting is my way... I wonder if the RawShooter tool will have the D200 update soon?

...oh, and I don't have a choice of waiting (any more): the camera's on its way now and should be in my hot little hands by Thursday.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'd be absolutely shocked if the final 3.3 release doesn't support the D200. No way they're going to make all the D200 users wait till spring.

7. jfriend

jfriend

Nov 11, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Let's hope so...

The optimist would say that the whole reason they have a public beta on 3.3 is that they had other cameras they needed to get support out for, but they really wanted to hold 3.3 until the D200 support was done! The solution was to release a beta that the users of the other cameras could use while they finished the D200 work. I have NO information that this is really what is happening, but that's how the optimist would think.