Adobe Camera Raw display issue

When adjusting the tone curve or moving sliders in ACR, I'm suddenly experiencing display issues: the window displaying the image blinks and often gets divided into a series of rectangles as the blink takes place. Each rectangle is part of the photo but not the correct part of the photo (hard to describe and impossible to get a screenshot).

This happens only in ACR; not in Photoshop CC and not when using any other software program.

My video driver is up to date. Rebooting doesn't solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Windows 10, NVidia GT730 graphics card, 24GB RAM

Real Name
Bill Mellen
LightRoom started doing the same thing after an update at the end of last year.

There were a bunch of suggestions about turning video card acceleration on and / or off.

LightRoom also got a lot slower about the same time. And it freezes while opening or rendering some images.

The latest updates seem to be helping, but I am still not happy with the performance or the image rendering issues.

Wish I could be of some help, but I am just frustrated with it. CNX-D, DxO, Fuji Raw Studio and Silky Pix are getting more of my attention right now.

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Mike, The issues I have been experiencing are most probably related to the video drivers. There seems to be some differences of opinion between Microsoft, NVidia and Adobe about these things.

Empirical findings. The spurious “frame lines” started showing up after an Adobe Update. Many users probably had no issues, my machine (motherboard, bios, video card, etc) did.

Having been in the PC Hardware and Software business for some 40 years, I attribute it to the ever growing complexity of these systems and the eternal desire for performance improvement. I have fewer issues on a later model consumer grade HP Laptop than on my consumer grade HP Desktop.

Fundamentally, if something was working and it stops working, then something changed...

Fundamentally, if something was working and it stops working, then something changed...
The problem is that we don't know which change is causing my problem and that's what I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can figure out. Considering that the issue is limited to ACR, I'm inclined to think that's the cause of the issue. If I had started experiencing the issue immediately after updating ACR, my finger would be pointing straight in that direction. But that's not the timing.

Are you on Windows? There have been reported problems like that from Windows 10 users who didn't have the latest version of it.
It could also be an issue with your video card needing a new driver.
Do you have "Use Graphics Processor" checked in the ACR Prefs? I have it "ON" and that works for me — but try it both ways.

Another suggestion:
Search for a file named ""Adobe Camera Raw 11.0 Prefs".
Uninstall ACR and trash your ACR preferences manually; then reinstall ACR.

(On a Mac, you will find "Adobe Camera Raw 11.0 Prefs" in Users Library > Preferences but I am afraid that I have no idea where it lives in Windows.)

Last edited:
When adjusting the tone curve or moving sliders in ACR, I'm suddenly experiencing display issues: the window displaying the image blinks and often gets divided into a series of rectangles as the blink takes place. Each rectangle is part of the photo but not the correct part of the photo (hard to describe and impossible to get a screenshot).

This happens only in ACR; not in Photoshop CC and not when using any other software program.

My video driver is up to date. Rebooting doesn't solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Windows 10, NVidia GT730 graphics card, 24GB RAM
Sudden occurence without a recent update of drivers,system, or application sounds strange and warrants further investigation even though it appears to be only affecting one program! This type of issue has been reported on all OS including Mac and often relates to the graphics card driver and some incompatibility with GPU acceleration. But it could be indicative of other failures e.g. HDD or SSD issues with particular images.

First check your update history for camera raw

1. I would suggest copying one or two files to other media e.g. USB and seeing if the problem persists
2. Turn off GPU accelaration for ACR only Photoshop>EDIT>Preferences>Camera Raw>Performance - untick Use Graphics Processor. Does this help?
3. If it does help then assuming that all was well before this 'happening' then there could be an issue with the Camera Raw application. If so you may want to try a manual instal of ACR to the latest version

Do you have "Use Graphics Processor" checked in the ACR Prefs? I have it "ON" and that works for me — but try it both ways.
Turn off GPU accelaration for ACR only Photoshop>EDIT>Preferences>Camera Raw>Performance - untick Use Graphics Processor. Does this help?
turning off the GPU acceleration within ACR Preferences, worked for me.
Considering that three of you recommended attending to that setting and considering that doing so is so easy, I tried that first. The setting was enabled, so I disabled it. After just a few unsuccessful attempts to reproduce the problem with that setting disabled, I'll assume at least for now that my problem is solved.

Thank you, everyone!

Last edited:
Good to hear. As Louie said you may find you can turn it back on with future updates or new driver?

FWIW Adobe comments about compatibility
Adobe Camera Raw graphics processor (GPU) FAQ and troubleshooting

Have to say that so far I have been underwhelmed by GPU acceleration turning it on or off seems to have little noticeable affect on systems I have tried - probably depends on the image data and system configuration. I would like to see some information with examples that show off the differences if anyone knows of a link?

Some functions in ACR use GPU to their advantage but not all of them. This difference may increase as new tools are developed.

By far the most important thing for a PS workstation is the CPU (and RAM) and your choice of the fastest (affordable?) will have the greatest affect on system performance. Caveat, there are limits to the gains due to the core limits used by PS – so spending more may not necessarily gain speed for this application at this time and for your current version.

While GPU acceleration may get some attention from Adobe in the future there are probably more pressing matters to fix/improve. GPU acceleration may fail if you have any apps set to overclock the card. A change or upgrade to your system from either Adobe or your graphics card drivers may cure previous problems so try turning on from time to time as changes occur

Current demand for GPU acceleration is quite light and only supports a handful of features. With a fast enough CPU and enough RAM the benefits in ACR GPU acceleration may not be seen as significant. Try doing a session with GPU enabled and then again disabled.

I suspect the biggest benefit will be for users with 4K and above displays, AFAIK most of the Develop module tools in LR (and by default ACR) use GPU acceleration. The greater pixel density of these monitors means more work for the system and using GPU acceleration may well offer significant speedups when manipulating sliders e.g. no lag between slider movement and affect on screen. I believe the underlying effect of GPU acceleration is a speeding up of frame rate to the display - but that also comes with a downside as communication link needs to be made to the CPU and back!

Once again I would like to see some concrete evidence of the amount of improvement for ACR GPU acceleration. Perhaps someone has a test that represents real world usage and can be repeated and compared with acceleration on and off.

Note this is ACR not PS GPU acceleration as there are some things in PS that will not work without acceleration.

Last edited:
I didn't know that. What things are those?
Not an exhaustive list AND from memory! Note that some items require OpenCL accelerated only and do not rely on GPU acceleration others require both enabled.

Photoshop CC 2019
Features that will not work without GPU acceleration enabled:
Adaptive Wide Angle
3D
Render – Flame, Picture Frame and Tree, Lighting Effects
Stylise – Oil Paint, Extrude, Tiles
View Menu certain items e.g. Fit Artboard
Liquify – Will work but really benefits from GPU acceleration

I think that GPU acceleration and Open CL started with Photoshop CS4
GPU and OpenGL features and preferences | Photoshop and Bridge | CS5, CS4

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Not an exhaustive list AND from memory! Note that some items require OpenCL accelerated only and do not rely on GPU acceleration others require both enabled.

Photoshop CC 2019
Features that will not work without GPU acceleration enabled:
Adaptive Wide Angle
3D
Render – Flame, Picture Frame and Tree, Lighting Effects
Stylise – Oil Paint, Extrude, Tiles
View Menu certain items e.g. Fit Artboard
Liquify – Will work but really benefits from GPU acceleration

I think that GPU acceleration and Open CL started with Photoshop CS4
GPU and OpenGL features and preferences | Photoshop and Bridge | CS5, CS4
That's interesting, thanks.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom