Adobe Camera Raw not retaining adjustments

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I have discovered a situation that is reproducible most of the time but not all the time. If I use my cataloging software to change the XMP information such as keywords in the catalog, then embed that information in the XMP file, and then rebuild the thumbnail, all of my ACR image adjustments in raw files are wiped out. I have contacted the developer to ask if it's likely that my catalog database file and/or my thumbnail database file have become corrupt and need to be rebuilt.

I haven't tried doing this with PSD or JPEG files. One step at a time.
That is really scary Mike. How many thousands of images have you possibly done this to without knowing it might be losing your ACR adjustments? This is an example of why I use my raw editor as my DAM system too.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have discovered a situation that is reproducible most of the time but not all the time. If I use my cataloging software to change the XMP information such as keywords in the catalog, then embed that information in the XMP file, and then rebuild the thumbnail, all of my ACR image adjustments in raw files are wiped out. I have contacted the developer to ask if it's likely that my catalog database file and/or my thumbnail database file have become corrupt and need to be rebuilt.
I'm sure you will remember that I said I suspected the cataloging software.
It is shocking that any software would mess up XMP files. You can't tell how many more of your XMP files have been wrecked over the years - you can't know unless you open every photo in ACR. Rebuilding your databases will do nothing to bring back all the corrupted XMP files!
What a nightmare.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Mike .. I don’t know if you are aware, but those XMP files are plain text. You can look inside them. I’m sure you could look inside one that you know has the ACR adjustments vs one that doesn’t to see the section that differs. You would then need some sort of file search tool to search all your XMP files for ones that are missing that section to know which ones might have been affected by your cataloging software.

Thank you, all, for trying to help.

All: I'm actually not worried if the image adjustments have been removed in more raw files than I think have been affected. That's because I rarely return to an image file to readjust it and because at the minimum I have full-size JPEGs of all my adjusted images. When using Photoshop was necessary (rather than only using ACR), I also have the full-size PSD file.

I've heard back from the developer of the cataloging software but I haven't had a chance to digest the information he provided. He didn't directly answer my question about whether it's likely in his mind that one or both of my database files has become corrupted, so I haven't yet firmly concluded that that has happened.

It is shocking that any software would mess up XMP files.
If I am correct that one or both of my database files has become corrupted, that's not the software's "fault" per se.

Except for the few minutes I've spent here at the Cafe, I have been spending most of the last 3 1/2 hours dealing with my completely dysfunctional cable television company (Cox Communications). As a result, I doubt that I'll be in the mood to deal with yet another problem (the problem being discussed in this thread) until tomorrow.

Except for the few minutes I've spent here at the Cafe, I have been spending most of the last 3 1/2 hours dealing with my completely dysfunctional cable television company (Cox Communications). As a result, I doubt that I'll be in the mood to deal with yet another problem (the problem being discussed in this thread) until tomorrow.
You will need all of your self-control to deal with the cable company. As you wisely noted in a reply to this thread, one thing at a time. If it comes to it, your Cafe-mates can serve as alibi witnesses. Just tell us the date-time-place of the unfortunate incident and where you were when it happened so we can accurately attest that you were elsewhere and we were there with you. (There may be a modest fee for this service... payable in wine, of course).

You will need all of your self-control to deal with the cable company. As you wisely noted in a reply to this thread, one thing at a time. If it comes to it, your Cafe-mates can serve as alibi witnesses. Just tell us the date-time-place of the unfortunate incident and where you were when it happened so we can accurately attest that you were elsewhere and we were there with you. (There may be a modest fee for this service... payable in wine, of course).
Good one!

I've been dealing with the same problem with Cox for three weeks. Still unresolved. I think I'm about to make headway, as I finally figured out the company's best kept secret: how to get to the escalation team at their corporate office.

I finally got up the interest to get back into this issue and did so using the guidance of the cataloging software's developer. The good news is that he says my two database files, which I thought might have become corrupted, are surely fine; otherwise, I wouldn't be able to successfully compact them.

At least for awhile, I'm going to make copies of my edited raw files before applying certain cataloging functions that only occasionally eliminate my ACR edits. All of my testing indicates that if I have some copies, at least one of them won't lose the edits.

If this issue persists, I'll also reinstall the cataloging software under the presumption that some of its program files have become corrupt.

One very cool thing I learned during my testing under the developer's guidance is that the cataloging software has a really nice capability that displays the content of an XMP file in a format that is far easier to read than using a text editor. Previously I had never had a need for this capability, so I had never tried using it. I had even forgotten that it exists until the developer reminded me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom