Adobe cc and Catalina ??

Just wondering...has Adobe fixed their MacOS Catalina compatibility issues with LR CC and PS CC?

Has anyone using LR and PS CC upgraded to Catalina yet? Issues?

There are so many things one can do with these apps that very few if any photographers use all of them. I do nothing fancy in either program. I have not had any problems with Catalina.

Real Name
Chris
There was a big update in the first week of November to version 21 of Photoshop CC (aka Photoshop 2020), v. 12 of Camera Raw, and v. 10 of Bridge. I don't use Lightroom CC or Classic on my iMac, so I don't know what version numbers are, but they updated to Lightroom 2020 at the same time as the other three programs. Catalina was installed on October 8. I use less than 50% but more than 20% of the tools tools available in Photoshop.

Everything seems to be working fine now, and files sync with Photoshop, Lightroom and other apps on my iPad. To tell you the truth though, I ran it before the update and everything worked, except there were issues with syncing to my iOS devices.

I ran GO64, which identified 10 apps, 4 frameworks, and 3 terminal documents, alll in the folder Utilities > Adobe Applications Manager. None of the executables have ever been run on my computer according to the Finder. Only one (64 bit) app from that folder has ever been run, and then only once, when I installed Photoshop CC. I suspect they are there for legacy apps, or older operating systems. All the other Adobe executables on my computer are "64 bit". But the proof for me is the lack of crashes, which, while not common, were a part of my previous Photoshop experience. Nothing was ever lost, but occasionally the app would restart and my window arrangement would revert to my 'previously saved state'. That hasn't happened since the November update.

Thanx guys. I've been holding off on installing Catalina (obviously) but I did notice the Adobe CC apps were updated recently and it seemed reasonable that Adobe would have worked out any Catalina kinks prior to releasing their updated apps.

GO64 is showing a number of 32 bit apps and most of them are from Adobe. I need to keep digging....

I think most of mine are old legacy apps that are no longer used (like Adobe applications manager - deleting that eliminated a half-dozen 32 bit problems).

Yes, Jim, that is useful too....I'm using both to chase down 32 bit stuff (GO64 is free and shows where everything is located making it easy to trash and try).

I just ran Go64 and no Adobe apps were flagged
View attachment 1651638
I see you also have i1Profilier. Are you getting that PITA "XRD Software Update" app show up in the dock every morning at 9AM?

Xrite promised a fix "soon" but that was a long time ago. I followed xrite's suggestion to stop the problem in the meantime but it also stops profilier from running. Now I'm contemplating uninstalling it if I upgrade. Does i1Profilier run in Catalina?

I'm still on High Sierra. Will I lose many of the 32-bit apps with Mojave?
No, Mojave didn't [really] update anything from the 32-bit standpoint, though some of your software is definitely older so the closer you get to being current the quicker those will start falling off. I saw CS5 files, CS3 files, etc., which may not run in general.

So far, my upgrade to catalina on my 2012 MBP has been a huge plus. Mojave seemed to be a little slower than High Sierra but i'm guessing without the 32bit overhead Catalina runs "cleaner".

I see you also have i1Profilier. Are you getting that PITA "XRD Software Update" app show up in the dock every morning at 9AM?

Xrite promised a fix "soon" but that was a long time ago. I followed xrite's suggestion to stop the problem in the meantime but it also stops profilier from running. Now I'm contemplating uninstalling it if I upgrade. Does i1Profilier run in Catalina?
No. I followed some advice which I can’t remember to get rid of it.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I used Go64 and found lots of older bits of Adobe utilities and behind-the-scenes service binaries like license managers, etc, that were not 64-bit. I completely removed all my Adobe products on Mojave and there still were some of these things lying around (Go64 finds them). I removed the remaining ones by hand, then re-installed the latest Adobe CC Photography subscription with LR CC Classic and Photoshop CC. Go64 found NO 32-bit components so I think Adobe has addressed them.

I used Go64 and found lots of older bits of Adobe utilities and behind-the-scenes service binaries like license managers, etc, that were not 64-bit. I completely removed all my Adobe products on Mojave and there still were some of these things lying around (Go64 finds them). I removed the remaining ones by hand, then re-installed the latest Adobe CC Photography subscription with LR CC Classic and Photoshop CC. Go64 found NO 32-bit components so I think Adobe has addressed them.
Excellent post. Thanks.
I've made progress and did get my MBP updated to Catalina without issues. I chased down the 32 bit items identified by GO64 and the only items it reports now are 5 applications that may not work because they have a 32bit 'component' somewhere in the code. But the 5 apps identified as such are all working.

I'm now working on my iMac and will update it today.

Allan...I did get the XRD Software update bug 'fixed' by removing the app and a plist file as documented by xrite (for anyone else....google 'xrite XRD software update').

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Excellent post. Thanks.
I've made progress and did get my MBP updated to Catalina without issues. I chased down the 32 bit items identified by GO64 and the only items it reports now are 5 applications that may not work because they have a 32bit 'component' somewhere in the code. But the 5 apps identified as such are all working.

I'm now working on my iMac and will update it today.

Allan...I did get the XRD Software update bug 'fixed' by removing the app and a plist file as documented by xrite (for anyone else....google 'xrite XRD software update').
Glad that helped. If the apps themselves are working, then what Go64 found are likely accessory components that may or may not affect your use of the product. For example, if there are frameworks provided with the apps that provide features you do not use then you may not be affected. However, if any of these 32-bit components supports auto-updates or license mgmt or other things that do become necessary, then you could be OK for a while and later the problems come.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom