Adobe DNG converter issue.

I still use photoshop CS4. I just recently bought a Nikon D7100 and I realize CS4 will not support the new NEF files. I downloaded the free Adobe DNG Converter (7.4version). This is supposed to support the D7100 NEF files.

My plan is to convert to DNG then use CS4 for pp. Anyways when I open up the DNG converter and click on the select folder, I choose the folder where I saved my NEF files that I want to convert. It just says no items match your search. It's like it's not seeing the files at all. I've tried selecting folders that have D300 NEF files saved in and I have the same result - "no items match your search"

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong or what I can do to remedy this?
Thanks for your help.
Dave

It does not sound as if you are doing anything wrong, as strange as it may seem this is normal behaviour as you are just selecting the folder and it will then batch process all nefs found within that folder.

Workflow will be something like this:
1. Prepare your folder with your nef files for conversion.
2. Open Adobe DNG and click on select folder navigate to you Nef folder
3. When you select the folder the dialogue box will open and it will say "no items match your search". Just click on Select button
4. Select either Save in same location or pick another folder location for your DNG
5. Finally click Convert button and wait for the program to finish converting your Nef to DNG - you will end up with two versions your original Nef intact and the DNG

I still use photoshop CS4. I just recently bought a Nikon D7100 and I realize CS4 will not support the new NEF files. I downloaded the free Adobe DNG Converter (7.4version). This is supposed to support the D7100 NEF files.

The Open box will say No Items (I don't know why), but go ahead and select the folder, and run the conversion, and it will find the NEF files there.

It also has a Preferences choice, where you will want to specify your version of ACR for compatibility.

It does not sound as if you are doing anything wrong, as strange as it may seem this is normal behaviour as you are just selecting the folder and it will then batch process all nefs found within that folder.

Workflow will be something like this:
1. Prepare your folder with your nef files for conversion.
2. Open Adobe DNG and click on select folder navigate to you Nef folder
3. When you select the folder the dialogue box will open and it will say "no items match your search". Just click on Select button
4. Select either Save in same location or pick another folder location for your DNG
5. Finally click Convert button and wait for the program to finish converting your Nef to DNG - you will end up with two versions your original Nef intact and the DNG

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.
I've done everything you stated above but the convert button is still greyed out. It won't let me click on it to start to convert the files. Any more suggestions?

Dave, d'load again the converter I suggest as it does work for D7100 files.
Or try asking on Adobe Forums to resolve your issue.

Agree with Geoff that you should download again to rule out file corruption during your original download.

As the convert button is now greyed out it sounds like the app is not able to recognise that there is a folder selected. When you click on the Select button do you see the correct path name to your folder listed at the side?

Agree with Geoff that you should download again to rule out file corruption during your original download.

As the convert button is now greyed out it sounds like the app is not able to recognise that there is a folder selected. When you click on the Select button do you see the correct path name to your folder listed at the side?

I redownloaded the converter but it still has the same problem. When I click on the select button it does give me the correct path to my folder where my NEF's are. I guess I'll try the Adobe forums and see if they can help. Thanks again for your help.

Got it figured out.. Someone from the Adobe forum posted this.

If, in the left hand list of folders, you can click on a drive so that you have folders on that drive listed in the larger right hand section, then click on a folder in that section, it should work. That left hand column is used to choose the main folder or drive. And it needs to be in the other section to be selected.

Thanks again for everyones help, much appreciated.

Not sure I understand what has actually happened as what you describe about selections is standard Windows practice. Anyway pleased to hear that you have resolved the issues :smile:

Download the latest DNG converter.

I would save the original NEF also by duplication.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom